Bill-Sunday 5/22

A long walk with Nathan and Casey on a gorgeous day. From the hippie-ish Albergue do Sol y Lua in Finisterre to Bela Muxía. Muxía is yet another End of the World with a geographical claim and a legend involving Saint James. The tradition is that the Virgin arrived here in her own stone boat to assure James that his ministry was successful and to send him back to Jerusalem. The stones on the headland,  supposedly remains of the Virgin’s Barca, are said to have healing powers. Pagans still practice re-birthing ceremonies here. The 30 km walk today was mostly back roads and forest paths until you come out next to the ocean 2.5 km from town. Just as you get to the middle of town there is a narrow, long children’s playground directly across the street from a cove where the waves come rolling in. Nathan said, “I’m glad I come from the Midwest where everything is just normal.  That way, I can be amazed by this ocean and these waves and the beauty of this place. What are these kids going to think about all this when they grow up just across the street?”

Published in: Where am I? on May 22, 2016 at12:12 pm Comments (0)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://blogs.evergreen.edu/camino-bill/bill-sunday-522/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.