Thoughts from Estrella

It has been a while since I’ve written a post; I have been very caught up with life on the road and living in the albergues. I thought it was about time that I share a bit of my experiences on the Camino thus far, and the people I have had the privilege to get to know.

Arriving in Saint Jean Pied de Port

Arriving in Saint Jean Pied de Port

I have met some incredible people on the road so far, and friendships have formed instantaneously. It’s contagious-everyone feels overwhelmed with excitement and joy to get to know other pilgrims. I felt this elation when first boarding the train to Bayonne upon noticing scallop shells strapped to backpacks.

I’ve remained in close contact with people I met my first night in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; though we don’t always walk together during the day, we always count on seeing each other for dinner or at the albergue. When we do see each other, it’s like a gathering of old friends; hugs, hellos, sometimes a kiss on the cheek. It’s hard to imagine that it’s only been a week since we have met, or even less. It already feels like a lifetime.

Camino family- pic taken after a delicious breakfast! L to R: Ida, Marcus, Linda, Clark, Doritina, Shiloh, Jess, me

Camino family- pic taken after a delicious breakfast!
L to R: Ida, Marcus, Linda, Clark, Doritina, Shiloh, Jess, me

This is a rekindling of an old trait for me, to feel so comfortable approaching anyone and striking up a conversation. Social butterfly Casey is slowly emerging from her cocoon, and drying off her new wings; the extrovert in me feels nurtured and encouraged. I’m writing this now, to help cement the social interactions I have experienced and enjoyed, because today I am feeling a bit low energy and in need of recharging and nourishing my inner introvert.

I am so thankful to have met these wonderful people, all so willing to share their stories, food, first aid supplies, smiles, and hearts with me. I am constantly humbled and inspired by the openness and kindness of people on the Camino.

Camino family continued! L to R: Rose, Saray, Louis, Marta, Sara, me, Alaina, and Alex

Within minutes I have told them my deepest worries, wants, and hopes-and they have told me theirs. It’s unlike anything I’ve experienced before- this sense of community that runs deep, beyond any feeling of comradery I might have had during team sports or school clubs. We are walking every day, eating the same meals, sleeping in the same places, repeating the next day, walking with a purpose. Though our bodies are beaten by the heat, the rain, blisters and bruises, there is a certain kind of compulsion that forms around this act of daily pilgrimage. We don’t want to stop, because it is slowly becoming a habit, but also because we are so connected to one another, one doesn’t want to stay behind. (There was a joke circulating around our camas today- what kind of pack animals would we consider our Camino family? Wolves, or donkeys? Well, we travel in a pack, so we would be wolves…but we carry packs, so we would be donkeys…would we be wonkeys? Yes, yes…)

There was an interesting discussion today around the Camino having not quite started yet for some people- it feels “too much like a vacation.” Because some of us are on time schedules (needing to finish the Camino by the end of this month, or only doing the Camino in parts, for example) we know we all need to say our goodbyes at some point soon. I’m trying to balance staying connected with these people, and continuing to stay open-hearted, while practicing non-attachment, and considering the fact that I might not get the chance to see them again. I think today these thoughts festered within me and overwhelmed me, and I needed to be alone to process all that has happened. I’m learning a valuable life lesson that wonderful people can float in and out of my life, and it’s so important to just be present and grateful for the time I have with them, precious and fleeting as it is.

Simultaneously I am also missing my loved ones back home, and have been carrying remorse for not being as present as I would have liked to have been before I left (It seemed I was existing in a stressed, excited daze the week before my departure for Europe). I hope that, upon my return, I can give them my full attention and the appreciation that they deserve.

Meeting others and hearing their intentions for their pilgrimages has also sparked my own reflection for why I chose this path. I met a wonderful woman who is walking the Camino for her son, and for her own healing; she inspired me to make prayer part of my journey. I also met a man with a heart condition who is walking for children in the world with terminal illnesses. Their pilgrimages were inspired by the relations they had with others, and finding peace. I can draw parallels to my own experiences and intentions for my Camino.

Waking up this morning to Marcus chuckling underneath me on the bottom bunk at the sound of my alarm (“Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles) and hearing Shiloh and Linda stir across the room, saying “Guten morgun” through the lisp of my night guard, was probably one of the most precious morning moments so far. Or the time when Jess, Shiloh and I found a candy shop in Pamplona, indulging in sweet treats while making a trip to the farmacia for our foot rashes and blisters. Also our regular meetings for breakfast (café con leche and a pastry of some sort, or tortilla española), and the most invigorating sprint back to the albergue in Pamplona in the wind and rain from the restaurant (we ran so quickly and lightly without our packs! It was refreshing!) skipping and prancing throughout the glistening streets of that city, howling and shrieking from the cold with our warm full bellies…these are just some of the unforgettable moments we have created together.

It will be interesting to see how we all start to branch out from here. Some of us have considered our group to be a “nest”- but soon some of us will fly off to find our own way. However it turns out, I am so grateful to have had this first week be so nourishing and joyful. I am filled to the brim with happiness and bliss for all the lovely souls that have shined a light on my journey so far.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*