Walking barefoot and alone

image

Though I’ve met many amazing folks out on the road, lately I’ve enjoyed passing the many hours trekking the mountains, sidewalks, and countryside by myself…sometimes barefoot.

It all started the second day, heading out from Roncesvalles. I was pumped up, motivated, and wanted to go fast! I started booking it down the trail, with long strides, shoulders back, and head up, when I felt a tap on the shoulder. Shiloh was behind me, informing me that I had overlooked the yellow arrow and was heading in the wrong direction.

I of course felt initially a little embarrassed and laughed at myself a bit, but then was astonished at myself! I had totally missed the whole point of the Camino (for myself)- I was so wrapped up in my own ego and sense of competition that I completely missed the way! From then on, I’ve walked intentionally slow and steady, conscious of every step, taking time to stop often to pick flowers and herbs (found rosemary and thyme today!), gaze at butterflies, caterpillars, trees, the surrounding mountains; and pet horses, cows and puppies. Sometimes I’m the last one in our group to make it to the albergue, and I’m at a place where I am content with that- it truly is about the richness of the journey than getting to the albergue. However it is comforting to know that I have friends waiting for me at the next stop.

Horses at Larrasoaña

Horses at Larrasoaña

My feet are holding up remarkably well, despite some expected soreness! I just have this mild red heat rash, (a common occurrence for hikers) which I’ve been supplementing with frequent sock changes, taking breaks throughout the day to let my feet dry out, and walking barefoot when my feet get swollen and need a break from my boots (sometimes this hurts to put so much pressure on my bare feet- the weight of my pack is a little bit much. But it feels good to put my bare feet in cool grass in the afternoon).

I’ve also been feeling very good in my body in general. I’m definitely sore in the morning, but that seems to be decreasing each day. My pack doesn’t really feel that heavy anymore! I recently purchased magnesium (the one vitamin I left behind but really missed!) to help ease my muscles and joints. I’ve also been stretching at the end of each day, and drinking a lot of water (I think the main thing throughout the day that momentarily distracts me from enjoying the scenery is trying to find a nice place to pee).

I love socializing and getting to know people, but I’ve also enjoyed breaking off from the group naturally and being by myself, listening to music or singing to the trees. I feel very safe and capable out here. I feel strong.

I can’t help but reflect on a comment that I have been receiving a lot out here (and I keep thinking back to Izzy’s project about women traveling alone) is “Wow, you’re alone? You are so brave, being so young and out here alone.” When the reality is, someone I know and trust is about 50-100 meters ahead of me, maybe less. It’s even more strange when people address Jess, Shiloh and I as being alone while we’re in each other’s company. An older man approached the three of us as we entered Roncevalles, marveling at how we were alone. I made sure to clarify that no, we weren’t traveling alone, but traveling together. Just because a man isn’t present with us at all times does not mean we’re alone. (Thank you Izzy, for some speaking points!)

I find that I benefit from both walking in groups and also from times of quiet reflection with just me and the road. Both situations teach me different things about myself and the ways that I interact with the world. And my feet carry me through it all.

Mind the puffy red feet enjoying the cool breeze

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*