MOHAI – Edible City
The second I saw online about the Edible City month and the exhibit featured at the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), I knew I had to go.
Since I was so close to my family up in Seattle, I called my mom (who is a part time chef and also an early childhood educator, who focuses on teaching her students about different countries and their cultures) and my youngest sister to see if they wanted to join me. Sure enough, they were interested and we were off.

I really enjoy the MOHAI because of how urban and interactive it is. Even if you personally aren’t writing replies to open questions, or moving gears and flipping switches, it’s fun to be able to read and watch as well. The exhibit wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, but it did cover a variety of subjects, and I was able to learn as well as teach my family more on subjects I was already familiar with. I really enjoyed the portion of the exhibit that focused on the history of Pike Place Market, Owning Chickens in the Pacific Northwest, Native foods to Puget Sound, and all the informational videos. The last video of the exhibit was on different restaurants of Seattle. The film makers drove around the city to different locations, interviewing employees and telling the viewer why they were interested in food, and talked about the culture of their food.
By the time we were done watching, reading and looking at everything, we decided to go visit one of the restaurants listed in the video. We ended up at Goodies Mediterranean Market. The restaurant was on the second story, and they had a tiny market down below. The food was incredibly delicious, and the market was amazing.

This quarter I’ve been taking two classes that overlap focusing on food, politics, agriculture and history. I was interested in this exhibit because it sounded like a fun way to experience my focused material in a whole new way. It’s been years since I’ve visited this museum, but my first time visiting a food focused exhibit in a museum. Needless to say, I had a blast at the MOHAI that day.

Click here for more information about Edible City!

Cover photo: My youngest sister and I dance with excitement outside the exhibit on South Lake Union.