2017 Summer Camp Counselor
The Marine Science & Technology (MaST) Center is dedicated to expanding knowledge about the Puget Sound and surrounding environment through teaching, outreach, and research. The MaST Center is the marine laboratory for Highline College and is the only facility of its kind in King and Pierce County. Located 4 miles south of Highline’s main campus at Redondo Beach in Des Moines, Washington, our 2,500 square-foot facility offers public space, classroom, laboratories, office and research areas with state-of-the-art equipment including 3,000 gallons of flow-through saltwater tanks, holding more than 250 species of local marine life.
Camp counselors work as part of a team to coordinate marine science programing during the 2017 MaST Summer Camp which will take place July 10-14, 2017. During the week-long day camp, counselors mentor small groups of elementary age campers, teach curriculum, and facilitate hands-on project-based environmental education about the Puget Sound.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Present from 8:00am to 2:00pm every day
- Available all five days of camp from Monday, July 10th to Friday, July 14th
- The MaST Center is located at 28203 Redondo Beach Dr. S., Des Moines, WA, 98198
- Present at training on Thursday, July 6th from noon-5pm
- Daily responsibilities include mentoring small group of 4-6 students, assisting with set-up, facilitation, and clean-up of activities, and general support of the whole camp team
- Some lifting of heavy items, walking long distances on uneven terrain and getting wet will be part of the counselor’s activities in the course of the week
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for teaching campers about Puget Sound marine life
- Show strong work ethic, and motivation to support the team
- Compensation is $400 for the entire camp and training.
- Age 18 or over
- Ability to work with diverse campers and as part of a diverse team of counselors, staff and volunteers
- Some knowledge of Puget Sound marine life or environmental science
- Comfort in leading small group and large-group hands-on activities both indoor and outdoor
- Prior experience in science teaching or tutoring preferred
- Submit the following to Lindsay Holladay by Friday, May 26th, 2017
- Resume (including education & relevant experience)
- Cover letter (describing why you want to be a camp counselor)
- Letter of recommendation (from a current or previous advisor, instructor, or supervisor)
- If selected for a phone interview, the applicant will be notified by Friday, June 2nd, 2017
- All applicants will be notified regardless of final selection by Friday, June 16th, 2017