Assistant Program Instructor Paid Internship
Green Plate Special’s (GPS) mission is to inspire and empower youth to experience food in new ways through gardening, cooking, and eating together. We engage 4th-8th graders (ages 9-14) year-round through hands-on classes and workshops offered during school and after school and through camp programs that take place at our quarter-acre teaching garden and kitchen in north Rainier Valley, an ethnically diverse area of predominantly low-income neighborhoods.
In this stipend-paid, active summer internship you will dive head first into the world of youth health education. As a Green Plate Special Assistant Program Instructor you will gain hands-on experience in teaching youth to garden and cook food that is good for their health, their confidence, and our planet. An internship with Green Plate Special is an excellent opportunity to assume a strong leadership position and build skills in communication, teaching, planning and organization. Our Assistant Program Instructor will lead small groups of 4th-8th grade youth in gardening, cooking and art projects under the leadership of Green Plate Special staff.
• Lead youth age 9-14 through portions of gardening, cooking, and creative art curriculum with the guidance of Green Plate Special staff
• Contribute creative lesson and activity ideas for garden and culinary curriculum as requested
• Ensure proper setup and take down of equipment for garden and cooking activities
• General garden and kitchen maintenance throughout the week (we have a flock of chickens as well)
• Other duties as assigned
• College (rising-sophomore through senior) or graduate student
• Experience or study in: K-12 education, environmental studies, nonprofit management, nutrition, organic gardening and/or cooking (a plus)
• Strong leadership skills; ability to lead and engage 4th-8th grade youth through hands-on learning activities
• Ability to implement and lead a lesson plan
• Desire to take initiative and ability to identify and act when more support is needed in a group working environment
• Enjoys collaborating with a small team in an outdoor setting and engaging in physical activity
• Excellent communication skills, highly organized and punctual
• Previous experience with 4th-8th grade youth a plus