Intern – Recycling/Waste Reduction Outreach Assistant
- Position Description
The City’s Office of Environmental Policy and Sustainability seeks to hire a part-time, temporary intern to work on activities devoted to waste reduction, recycling, and preventing wasted food. This position will directly support activities outlined in the Environmental Action Plan and Sustainable Materials Management Plan.
General tasks of this part-time position include:
- Developing a pilot project and materials to educate and create behavior change in multi-family residents about recycling and preventing waste.
- Working with staff from OEPS and Solid Waste Management, will develop appropriate education materials, as well as conduct outreach through a variety of strategies, including a survey and on-site trainings at multi-family complexes.
- Schedule and staff outreach events, including speaking at community groups, forums, workshops and event tabling.
- Assist in the implementation of the Bring Your Own Bag outreach and education campaign
Educational benefits to be derived by students in this job include: team work; research; enhanced computer skills; public speaking and employability skills.
Hours and Terms of the Position:
This is a temporary part-time (20 hours per week) position that is anticipated to be filled from approximately June 12 through December 21, 2017.
Location and Physical Requirements of Position:
Time will usually be spent in an office and in meetings. This position requires sitting at a desk for extended periods, using a computer, traveling to other city facilities, attending meetings and taking notes, communicating over the phone and accessing employee workspaces.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
Graduation from High School or GED equivalent.
Enrolled in vocational school, community college, four-year college or university, graduate program or a recent graduate who has completed a degree from an accredited college/university within the last year.
- Knowledge & Skills
- High level of competency in internet research.
- High proficiency in using Work, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow instructions and then work independently to complete assignments.
- Knowledge of research methodology.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Proper telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Analytical skills, i.e., able to discern and represent trends and facts from data and information statements in corporate reports.
- Understand and work within the scope of authority.
- Experience with meeting facilitation and event coordination.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Plan, organize and implement programs and to write clear, complete and logical reports and proposals.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, governmental officials, representatives of private agencies, and the public.
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing, using language that is appropriate to both the complexity of the topic and the knowledge and understanding of the audience.
- Effectively collaborate and work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Must maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Selection Process & Supplemental Information
With a population over 200,000, Tacoma is the second largest city in the Puget Sound region, gracing the shores of Commencement Bay. We are a diverse, progressive, international city that serves as a gateway to the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world. Named one of the most livable areas in the country by Livability.com, Tacoma and the surrounding area is a playground for outdoor and maritime enthusiasts. Our businesses are vibrant, our parks are beautiful, our schools are exceptional and our housing is affordable.
When you work for the City of Tacoma you’ll enjoy a healthy work/life balance, the potential for flexible schedules with some job classifications, continuing education programs, leadership pathways, wellness incentives and a total rewards benefits program. We welcome you to take a look at our website and discover how the City of Tacoma can make your next career move part of our combined destiny http://www.cityoftacoma.org/ and http://www.traveltacoma.com/
The City of Tacoma believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Interested individuals must apply online and meet the minimum qualifications to progress in the referral process. Applicants must attach a resume that includes past work experience and a brief cover letter stating why you want to participate in this internship.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the referral list for interview and hiring consideration. Qualified applicants with the strongest background related to the position may be invited to participate in an interview.
Per City of Tacoma Personnel Management Policy #170, the City of Tacoma is a drug-free work environment. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via email during the application process. Emails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk email folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. Be prepared to spend at least an hour entering information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted by the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
For assistance with the NEOGOV application process, questions regarding this job announcement, or if you are experiencing complications while applying, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591.5400 by 4:00 pm of the closing date of the job announcement. This will allow us to assist you before the job announcement closes.
- City of Tacoma
Human Resources Department
747 Market Street
Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764.