CNLM, Prairie Science Technician
The Center for Natural Lands Management’s (CNLM) stewardship activities are currently divided between California and Washington. In the State of Washington, CNLM focuses on conservation of one of the rarest ecosystems in United States, the prairie and oak woodlands of the south Puget Sound region. At least 92 percent of the prairie habitat in south Puget Sound region has been converted to other land uses or destroyed. CNLM aims to protect and restore prairie and oak habitats, and support the recovery of rare species. Our Washington staff serves our conservation objectives by acquiring, managing and restoring conservation lands, conducting applied restoration research projects, growing native plants and seed, and conducting outreach to partners and the public. CNLM seeks four full-time AmeriCorps members to fill prairie restoration service opportunities with the South Sound Prairies Program in the Olympia office. These four positions include a Prairie Science Technician, a Prairie Restoration Technician, a Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator, and a Native Plant Production Technician. These positions are offered through and contingent on funding from the Washington Service Corps.
Further help on this page can be found by clicking here.

Member Duties : The Prairie Science Technician will support many ongoing experiments, which explore effective restoration techniques for western Washington prairies. In order to develop and maintain high quality prairies, more information on how this ecosystem functions is needed. CNLM collaborates with partners to conduct regional, multi site experiments that determine current ecological conditions and test the efficiency of restoration practices. The member will spend 60 percent of their time assisting staff with experimental research, project and species monitoring, and data management; the remaining 40 percent will be spent on restoration practices, native plant propagation, invasive species control and native planting. This member will assist with scientific studies evaluating effects of prescribed fire, herbicide, grazing, seeding, and mycorrhizal fungi inoculation of native plants. Tasks include reviewing literature, setting up experiments, collecting field data and managing the data.
Program Benefits : Education award upon successful completion of service ,  Stipend ,  Health Coverage ,  Training ,  Childcare assistance if eligible .
Terms :
Permits attendance at school during off hours ,  Car recommended ,  Permits working at another job during off hours .
Service Areas :
Environment .
Skills :
General Skills ,  Team Work ,  Environment ,  Leadership ,  Computers/Technology .
Apply Now
Refine Search
Program Type:
AmeriCorps State / National

CNLM, Prairie Science Technician

Program Start/End Date
10/01/2017  –   08/15/2018

Work Schedule Full Time

Education level
Some college

Age Requirement
Minimum:  18    Maximum:  99

Program Locations WASHINGTON   Seattle/Tacoma/Bremerton

Accepting Applications
From  06/01/2017  To  07/30/2017

Contact Sarah Hamman
120 Union Ave SE, Suite 215
Olympia   WA   98501

Listing ID 74668