Tiny Trees is opening 4 new outdoor classrooms this fall and we have promoted 2 current teachers into leadership roles. That means we have teaching positions available at 6 locations in Seattle & King County.
See all and apply at tinytrees.org/about/careers
LEAD TEACHERS at CARKEEK PARK
(Full time, 36 hours/week or 30 hours/week.)
Tiny Trees Preschool gives children a quality education and a joyful, nature rich childhood: one full of play, exploration and wonder. By creating joyful, outdoor classrooms in Seattle & King County Parks, Tiny Trees eliminates the cost of a brick and mortar facility. This makes preschool affordable and accessible to all
families and allows us to invest in what really matters: empowering great teachers. Tiny Trees is an official partner of Seattle’s Parks and Recreation & King County Parks and is a provider for the Seattle Preschool Program – Pathways, which provides free tuition at Tiny Trees for children in poverty.
Tiny Trees opened 4 locations in September 2016 at Camp Long (West Seattle), Carkeek Park (North Seattle), Jefferson Park (SE Seattle) & John C Little Park (SE Seattle). New outdoor schools at the SAM Olympic Sculpture Park (Downtown Seattle), Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park (Issaquah/Renton), and Big Finn Hill Park (Kirkland) open fall of 2017. More information in this Q13 Fox News interview, this Seattle Times article or
As a Lead Teacher, you will:
Work closely with our director of education, team of coordinators, and fellow teachers. This will include:
- Teach and develop curriculum of Tiny Trees Preschool in conjunction with other members of the teaching team using High Scope as the
- Adapt your classroom to the cultural needs of your student body by incorporating an anti-bias curriculum into your
- Be responsible for the health, safety, and welfare of all children. This includes helping children stay warm and dry in chilly weather, managing risk in an outdoor setting and addressing student
- Create an inviting and emotionally safe classroom that will achieve a high Early Achievers
- Conduct ongoing assessment of students using Teaching Strategies GOLD.
- Train and supervise assistant teaching staff for your classroom in conjunction with the director of education and program
- Be a mentor for your education team including an assistant teacher, community volunteers, and apprentices from our college and university
- Conduct home visits (prior to the start of school) and family-teacher
- Overall planning for equipment and supply needs in conjunction with the assistant teacher and other program staff. Budget
- Be the primary contact for families in your program. You will gracefully and professionally communicate with parents and caregivers, both formally and informally, individually and in groups.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and review of Tiny Trees Preschool policies, procedures, and activities in conjunction with Tiny Trees director of education, as appropriate.
- Be an ambassador for Seattle Parks and Recreation when interacting with the public. This may include giving directions, explaining what outdoor preschool looks like, and highlighting resources or activities in the park.
- Hold the big picture for your classroom as the most senior staff at your location.
- Assist with the development and implementation of year-round programming. For holidays, we follow the local school district calendar.
- Other duties as assigned.
The most competitive candidates will have 3+ years teaching experience and completed formal education in Early Childhood Education. We are looking for educators who are:
- Experienced teaching 3-5 year olds in traditional preschool or outdoor-based programs.
- Dedicated to equal access to education, early learning, child-directed and play-based learning, and the outdoors. You love children, equity in education, and the environment.
- Creative and driven to adapt lessons to outdoor classrooms in Seattle city parks.
- Inter-culturally fluent and familiar with anti-bias approaches.
- Passionate, creative, intentional, and reflective in your work with children.
- Engaging and easily able to communicate with students, families, and peers.
- Excited to get dirty and laugh a lot while teaching outside in all types of weather.
- Tolerant of uncertainty and change and understand that organizations continue to improve when the people who work there are adaptable, take chances, and learn from their mistakes.
- Able to work occasional weekends and evenings (open houses, family-teacher conferences, etc.).
- Bonus Points!
- Experience teaching in a Seattle Preschool Program or Seattle Preschool Program Pathway classroom and/or experience as a Lead Teacher.
- BA in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, P-3 endorsement, Environmental Education, or related.
- Knowledge of Pacific Northwest natural history.
- Special talent (play an instrument, sing, puppetry, storytelling, knot tying, artistic, etc).
Job Title: Lead Teacher
- Reports to the Director of Education and Operations.
- Classroom location: Carkeek Park, North Seattle.
- The positions are Monday through Friday, 40, 36 or 30 hours per week, and paid hourly.
- The 40hr/wk and 36/hr/wk positions are year-round. The 30hr/wk position is for the 10-month school yr
- The positions begin August 21, 2017.
Salary and Benefits: Pay range is $17.31 to $18.27 an hour. The following benefits are split between bi-weekly pay periods:
- Health insurance stipend
- Retirement benefits after 6 months of employment
- Technology stipend
Additional: Generous paid time off (PTO) plus 10 holidays and some school closure days (total paid time off: 5 weeks for full time position, pro-rated for other positions). Paid training & professional development. Discounts on outdoor clothing available.
Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume with contact info for three references at tinytrees.org/about/careers. 1st Round Application Deadline: May 26. 2nd Round Application Deadline: June 30. This position requires successful reference and background checks. Tiny Trees Preschool is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who add to our diverse community are encouraged to apply.