Northwest Field Organizer
Title: Northwest Field Organizer
Location: Pacific Northwest. Specific location can be flexible, with expectation of traveling.
Overview of organization: Our Climate is a grassroots organization dedicated to empowering the generations most affected by climate change to advocate for strong and equitable climate policy. We believe putting a price on carbon is a critical policy tool to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and we are educating and organizing young advocates across the country in support of the policy. Our Climate co-leads the national Put A Price On It campaign, with the National Geographic series Years of Living Dangerously.
Overview of position: States often serve as laboratories of democracy, and state-level wins have historically paved the way for groundbreaking federal legislation. Washington and Oregon are currently considering carbon pricing policy, which provides an opportunity to demonstrate the potential for effective, bipartisan climate action. In collaboration with national and state partners, we are empowering the next generation of leaders in the Pacific Northwest to energize grassroots efforts and secure state-level carbon pricing wins.
The primary responsibility of the Northwest Field Organizer is to conduct outreach to schools and universities across the state, and engage students in advocacy efforts to advance state-level policy. Responsibilities include creative organizing (including action and event planning), recruitment and development of student leaders, and educating decision-makers about the efficacy of carbon pricing and the need to take action on climate.
This position will be based in Oregon or Washington and will report to the Our Climate Program Director.
- Conduct outreach to university campuses in target districts across the state, building relationships via phone, email, and on-site visits;
- Recruit, train, and coordinate student leaders to build local support and become powerful advocates for equitable, science-based carbon pricing;
- Organize creative events to empower youth of diverse backgrounds to the movement and earn media;
- Generate awareness of climate change, energy economics, and carbon pricing through traditional and social media;
- Hit monthly benchmarks including student recruitment and leadership activation;
- Assist with Our Climate and Put A Price On It social media and communications;
- Actively participate in the Oregon and Washington state carbon pricing coalitions, and determine how students and millennials can most effectively contribute to existing efforts.
Minimum Qualifications: We’re seeking candidates who are team players, results-oriented, and dedicated to our mission. Candidates should demonstrate the following:
- Belief in the power of grassroots organizing and empowering young people to become powerful advocates;
- Organized, collaborative, and proactive work style;
- Commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done, even in the face of obstacles;
- Ability to work in remote, fast-paced, and flexible environment;
- Commitment to environmental, economic, and social justice;
- Minimum of 1-2 years of organizing or campaign experience, in staff or volunteer capacity (including campus organizing).
Desired Qualifications: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered even stronger if they demonstrate the following:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Stellar graphic design and/or social media skills
- Experience using online platforms including NationBuilder and Salesforce
The Northwest Field Organizer position is by no means limited to these responsibilities. As part of a small and ambitious team, the Northwest Field Organizer will be expected to participate in strategy, development, and planning discussions, among other organizational and campaign tasks.
Salary: This position starts at $32,000-$36,000, plus overtime, and is commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume as one PDF to Cassidy Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “Northwest Field Organizer.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis so please apply as soon as possible.
We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.