Youth Education Specialist
- 1 day ago
- FLSA Status
- # of Openings
- Job Closing Date
- 11/17/17 4:00pm
- Min $$
- USD $23.87/Hr.
- Max $$
- USD $32.22/Hr.
Intercity Transit is the municipal agency that provides public transportation for people who live and work in the WA state capitol of Olympia and surrounding communities. Services include bus routes, paratransit, vanpools, specialized van programs, and active community partnerships. Intercity Transit is the recipient of many awards, including “America’s Best Public Transportation System.” Our mission is to provide and promote transportation choices that support an accessible, sustainable, livable, healthy and prosperous community. Please visit our website at www.intercitytransit.com for more information.
Intercity Transit is currently recruiting for the fulltime position of Youth Education Specialist in its Marketing, Communications & Outreach division. The Specialist is responsible for coordinating and administering Intercity Transit’s youth education program that develops educational opportunities, encouragement campaigns, and programs in schools to increase biking, walking, and bus riding. The youth education program promotes environmental stewardship relating to transportation, and addresses climate, health, and safety issues through rolling classroom lessons for local students, interagency planning coordination, and support for national Safe Routes to Schools efforts. The Specialist works with K-12 students, educators, school administrators, parents, non-profit organizations, and local program coordinators within Thurston County. Excellent benefits include health insurance, PERS and deferred comp retirement plans, and paid sick and vacation leave. Wage range is $23.87 to $32.22 per hour.
- Associates degree.
- Three years marketing, communications, and transportation experience, or specialized certificate training in marketing, communications, environmental studies, bicycle mechanics or riding safety, education, or related field; equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Ability to walk up to 2 miles, bike up to 20 miles, and lift, carry, and maneuver bikes and supplies that weigh up to 30lbs.
- Knowledge of basic bike riding, bike mechanics, and rights/rules of bicyclists.
- Experience working and effectively communicating with youth, preferably in education.
- Project/program/event coordination experience.
- Knowledge of K-12 curriculum design.
- Passion for public and active transportation, as well as sustainable practices.
- Experience leading or coordinating volunteers and/or temporary workers.
- Proficient in public speaking, as well as initiating and maintaining contacts within the community.
- Washington State Driver’s License, and ability to safely operate program van with attached trailer.
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background investigation, the results of which must meet the agency’s hiring criteria.
To apply, a letter of interest and resume that includes last ten years of work/volunteer/military/school history are required. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Intercity Transit’s method of communication is email, so accurate and active email addresses are essential.
Completed applications must be received by: Friday, November 17, 2017, 4:00pm