GIS Technician – Information Systems Specialist 2 (ODOT17-1815oc)
GIS Technician – Information Systems Specialist 2 (ODOT17-1815oc)
GIS Technician – Information Systems Specialist 2
Transportation Development Data Division – GIS Unit
ODOT’s Geographic Information Services Unit is responsible for the preparation of urban and rural transportation maps and provides GIS data, analysis, products, and custom maps. We are recruiting for a part-time GIS technician to conduct GIS analysis and assist in developing and maintaining GIS applications. This person will assist in delivering technical training and will provide user support for applications, spatial data, and GIS use throughout ODOT.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
- This is a part-time position. The successful candidate may be required to work 40 hours per week at peak times of the year, and, when the customer demand lessens, they may have their hours reduced to 20 hours or less per week. Benefits will be prorated according to the number of hours worked.
- This position is represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU/OPEU).
- Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide direct technical customer support and training in the use of GIS applications.
- Develop user documentation and web site help utilities.
- Provide training for internal/external GIS staff in the use of various applications and spatial analysis software.
- Monitor performance and support users of GIS applications as required.
- Assist in producing custom cartographic output.
- Assist in spatial data analysis.
- Perform and document spatial data quality control .
- Provide data translations making spatial data compatible with GIS needs.
- Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
- Minimum Qualifications:
One (1) year of information systems experience.
(b) An equivalent combination of experience/training.
Preferred Attributes/Application Scoring Criteria: In addition to your related work experience and education, we will use the attributes below to determine whom to interview. You are not required to have all of these attributes, but please make sure that the ones you do have are clearly demonstrated in your application materials. Your application materials may be graded on spelling, grammar, punctuation, and presentation.
- Experience collecting, creating, formatting and editing data for use in GIS projects.
- Experience with editing raster and vector datasets as well as relational database content using Esri ArcGIS software packages.
- Experience producing hard copy and digital map products.
- Occasional exposure to traffic hazards and inclement weather.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Additional Information
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please follow these steps.
- Complete the application. We will not accept a resume or position description in place of a completed application. There is no need to attach a resume to your application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review any attachments that we do not ask for.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all of the minimum and special qualifications listed above. If it does not, we are required to disqualify it.
- Complete the supplemental questions.
Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications.
We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates including current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position.
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans’ preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Please title your DD214 like this, “[Your Last Name] DD214” and your disability letter “[Your Last Name] Disability Letter.” Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.
Note: DD214 member 1 copies do not contain character of service and cannot be used to verify veterans’ preference eligibility. Please attach DD214 member 2 or 4.
ODOT does not offer VISA sponsorships. Within three days of hire, successful candidates will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Questions and Application Support:
We encourage you to print or save a PDF copy of your application.Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
- For questions about the job announcement, call 503-373-7377.
- For technical help with your login or online application issues, call 1-855-524-5627 from 6:30a to 5:30p PT M-F. Leave a voicemail. It may take up to 24 hrs to receive a response. If you do not receive a response after 24 hours, you can email Technical Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
Fax 503-986-3895ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact the employee civil rights and diversity manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.
- Core benefits
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans for the employee and qualified family members
- $5,000 in employee basic life insurance
**Effective November 1, 2016, SEIU represented employees who are Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) participating members will have their base salary increased by 6.95%. Upon becoming a PERS participating member, SEIU employees pay the employee 6% contribution to PERS.
- Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS)/Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan (OPSRP)
- Employer paid defined benefit and defined contribution programs
Paid leaves and other benefits
- Sick leave earned at the rate of 8 hours per a month with no maximum accumulation
- Vacation leave earned at a minimum rate of 8 hours per month with accrual rate increases at 5-year increments
- 24 hours personal leave earned each fiscal year
- Ten paid holidays a year
The state also provides access to an innovative Employee Assistance Program that offers work-life counseling, along with homeowner, legal and family resources.
- Term life (employee, spouse or domestic partner, and dependents
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Long-term care (self and eligible family members)
- Flexible spending accounts
- Option to enroll in the Oregon Savings Growth Plan, a deferred compensation program offering a wide variety of investment options.
The following information describes typical benefits available for employees. Actual benefits received may differ by position or branch of government or be prorated for other than full time work.
01Which of the following best describes your highest related level of education?
02Which of the following best describes the focus of your degree?
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Some College Coursework, No Degree Received
- Associate’s Degree
- Associate’s Degree and additional coursework
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree and additional coursework
- Master’s Degree
- Master’s Degree and additional coursework
- Doctorate Degree
- Doctorate Degree and additional coursework
- None of the Above
03If you selected “Other Related Degree” in question 2, please identify the focus of your degree. If you did not, enter N/A.04How many computer science credit hours have you completed? Select the Quarter/Semester hours that best describe your completed coursework.
- Computer Science
- Other Related Degree
- My degree is not related
- I do not have a degree
05What best describes your level of experience in information systems?
- 4 Quarter hours/3 Semester hours
- 8 Quarter hours/5 Semester hours
- 12 Quarter hours/8 Semester hours
- 15 Quarter hours/10 Semester hours
- 16 Quarter hours/11 Semester hours
- 20 Quarter hours/13 Semester hours
- 24 Quarter hours/16 Semester hours
- 28 Quarter hours/19 Semester hours
- 30 Quarter hours / 20 Semester hours
- 32 Quarter hours/21 Semester hours
- 36 Quarter hours/24 Semester hours
- 40 Quarter hours/27 Semester hours
- 44 Quarter hours/29 Semester hours
- 45-68 Quarter hours /30-45 Semester hours
- 69-95 Quarter hours /46-63 Semester hours
- 96-143 Quarter hours /64-95 Semester hours
- 144-191 Quarter hours /96-127 Semester hours
- 192-239 Quarter hours /128-159 Semester hours
- 240 or more Quarter hours /160 or more Semester hours
- None of the Above
06Please describe your experience with collecting, creating, formatting and editing spatial data for use in GIS projects. Provide specific examples of this work.07Describe your experience and proficiency with editing raster and vector datasets as well as relational database content using Esri ArcGIS software packages. Please give examples of your experience.08What experience do you have producing hard copy and digital map products? Please cite some specific examples of your cartographic accomplishments.09Where did you hear about this job?
- less than 6 months
- 6 to 11 months
- 12 to 17 months
- 18 to 23 months
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years
- 6 years
- 7 years
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years or above
- None of the above
10Specifically, in which website, printed publication, job fair/career event, radio station, social media site, etc. did you hear about this job?
- I’m an ODOT employee/internal
- State of Oregon job page website
- Social media (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Printed publication or newspaper
- Job fair or career event
- Friend or family/word of mouth
- Radio ad
- Email blast (Granicus, ODOT recruiter, NEOGOV, etc.)
- Professional association job board
- College job board
- Other website
- State of Oregon
NOTE: Locations vary by Agency/Department
Salem, Oregon, 97301.
- Agency/Department Contact Information