Puget Sound Estuarium
Please email Sasha@SSEAcenter.org your cover letter, resume, and any other relevant application materials.
Executive Director, Puget Sound Estuarium
Mailing Address: PO Box 2182 Olympia, WA 98507
Estuarium: 309 State Ave. NE. Olympia, 98501
About the Puget Sound Estuarium:
The Puget Sound Estuarium was founded by the South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) to create opportunities for the public to learn about estuaries, geology, natural and cultural history, marine life, and human impact on the Puget Sound (the biggest estuary in the United States by volume and second largest in the United States by shoreline).
Our mission is to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of the Puget Sound.
Our motto is to Explore • Connect • Inspire!
Education Coordinator – 20 hours/week
Personal traits to include:
- Committed to the Puget Sound Estuarium’s mission to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of south Puget Sound
- Highly organized
- Excellent verbal skills
- Ability to educate persons of varying age and backgrounds
- Exudes a positive attitude
- Excels at working with a wide variety of community members/volunteers
- Interpersonal skills essential for working collaboratively with staff, board, donors, partners, and the regional community
Education and professional experience desired to include:
- Minimum of four-year degree in education, communications, natural resource management, marine biology, business or public administration, or related field
- Previous work as an educator and developing STEM, NGSS, and Common Core aligned curriculum
- Previous work at another non-profit highly desired
- Office Suite: Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Google Drive/Calendar
- Social: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Internet: WordPress, Joombla a plus
Applicant will use their own personal computer and easily learn new computer programs/apps.
Applicant will be subject to a background check before hire.
Field Trips – Grant Funded
- Coordinate major grant funded field trips
- Estuary Life and Landforms (Oct and Mar)
- On the Water (May)
- Capitol Land Trust (Aug)
- Connecting People with Nature (July)
- Coordinate Contract Educators
- Track and maintain project budget
- In coordination with Executive Director, submit grant reports
Field Trips – Meet the Beach and Estuarium
- Proactively contact schools, youth groups, and other community groups to solicit fee based field trips to the beach and the Estuarium
- Coordinate Volunteers and/or Contract Educators to teach at field trips
- Customize curriculum for field trips
- Coordinate with South Sound Green to provide assistance to them for beach field trips
- Organize all Estuarium, Meet the Beach, and grant funded curriculum
- Develop (in written form) all learning objective, modules, lesson plans, and activities
- Ensure all curriculum is aligned with STEM, NGSS, and Common Core standards
- Distribute field trip and educational opportunities to partners and the public
- Proactively contact schools to place kits in classrooms
- Ensure all supplies and materials in kits are organized and restocked
- Track who has kits and how long they have them
- Add curriculum and activities to kits as necessary
- Coordinate and attend the following educational events:
- South Sound Green Student Congress
- Expanding Horizons
- Provide feedback on educational aspects of Estuarium exhibits
- Attend staff meetings
- Prepare short program summaries for monthly board meetings
- Prepare articles for the monthly electronic newsletter
- Assist with fundraising as needed
Responsibilities may shift according to funding availability. Ongoing compensation after one year is dependent on the receipt of grants and other funding. Position pays: $15/hour for up to 20 hours a week. There is an opportunity for more hours depending on the success of booking field trips. The Education Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
Applications are due no later than February 9, 2018. Please email Sasha@SSEAcenter.org your cover letter, resume, and any other relevant application materials. Applicant will start in February or March.