Puget Sound Estuarium
Please email Sasha@SSEAcenter.org your cover letter, resume, and any other relevant application materials.
Executive Director, Puget Sound Estuarium
Mailing Address: PO Box 2182 Olympia, WA 98507
Estuarium: 309 State Ave. NE. Olympia, 98501
About the Puget Sound Estuarium:
The Puget Sound Estuarium was founded by the South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) to create opportunities for the public to learn about estuaries, geology, natural and cultural history, marine life, and human impact on the Puget Sound (the biggest estuary in the United States by volume and second largest in the United States by shoreline).
Our mission is to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of the Puget Sound.
Our motto is to Explore • Connect • Inspire!
Outreach Coordinator – 20 hours/week
Personal traits to include:
- Committed to the Puget Sound Estuarium’s mission to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of south Puget Sound
- Highly organized
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to inspire the community through images and words
- Exudes a positive attitude
- Excels at working with a wide variety of community members/volunteers
- Interpersonal skills essential for working collaboratively with staff, board, donors, partners, and the regional community
Education and professional experience desired to include:
- Minimum of four-year degree in education, communications, natural resource management, marine biology, business or public administration, or related field
- Previous work at another non-profit highly desired
- Previous experience with implementing sustainable behavior outreach
- Office Suite: Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Google Drive/Calendar
- Social: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- Internet: WordPress, Joombla a plus
- Graphics: Illustrator, Photoshop, Constant Contact
Applicant will use their own personal computer and easily learn new computer programs/apps.
Applicant will be subject to a background check before hire.
- Create and send out our monthly newsletter
- Create program posters and flyers
- Create Estuarium exhibits and graphics
- Ensure branding standards are being met
- Advertise Estuarium events
- Distribute Estuarium flyers
- Regularly post events/news on social media and our website
- Manage the following Estuarium events
- Spring Arts Walk (Apr)
- Shark Month (July)
- Turn of the Tides (Dec)
- Public events
- Coordinate and attend the Estuarium’s educational booth and volunteers at Harbor Days, the County Fair, OysterFest, Wooden Boat Festival, and Nisqually Watershed Festival
- Work with local artists and other distributors to stock the Estuarium’s Gift Shop
- Ensure products are selling and adjust stock as necessary
Responsibilities may shift according to funding availability. Ongoing compensation after one year is dependent on the receipt of grants and other funding. Position pays:
$13.50/hour for up to 20 hours a week. The Outreach Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
Applications are due no later than January 31, 2018. Please email Sasha@SSEAcenter.org your cover letter, resume, graphic design samples, and any other relevant application materials. Applicant will start in February.