Legal Assistant 3, Ecology Division, Attorney General’s Office

Salary
$3,123.00 – $4,085.00 Monthly
Location
Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type
Full Time – Permanent
Department
Attorney General’s Office
Job Number
2018-01096
Closing
Continuous
Description
An image without description

This position will remain open until a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. First review of applications is expected to occur on 2/12/2018 and will be ongoing. It is in the applicants’ best interest to submit their application materials as early as possible. The hiring manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. This job posting may be closed at any time without notice.

Agency Information

The AGO serves more than 230 state agencies, boards, commissions, colleges and universities, as well as the Legislature and the Governor.  The mission of the Office is to deliver the highest quality professional legal services to officials, agencies, and citizens of the state of Washington.  The Office is comprised of over 550 attorneys and 700 professional staff.  Diversity is critical to the success of the mission of the AGO. It is the recognition, respect, and appreciation of all cultures and backgrounds and the fostering of the inclusion of differences between people. Appreciating, valuing and implementing principles of diversity permits AGO employees to achieve their fullest potential in an inclusive, respectful environment.  The core values of the AGO are served by a strong commitment to the value of diversity and by promoting an inclusive workplace.

For more information about the AGO, we encourage you to review the Office’s newest Annual Report which can be found HERE.

Do you want to be a part of a diverse team that is making a difference? View our VIDEO to learn more about the Washington State Attorney General’s Office.

The Opportunity

The Attorney General’s Office is recruiting for a permanent full time Legal Assistant 3 in the Ecology Division. This position is located in Olympia, Washington.

The Ecology Division works to resolve environmental problems and disputes using a variety of legal tools including negotiation, multi-party mediation, and litigation when necessary. Division attorneys provide advice on a broad spectrum of matters, including permitting, legislation, rule-making, and enforcement. The division’s practice includes hearings before administrative boards as well as trials and appeals before state and
federal courts.

Duties
This senior legal assistant position supports a minimum of three Assistant Attorneys General (AAGs) by performing complex legal support functions.

Duties include, but are not limited to:

• Proofreading and formatting with a high degree of accuracy
  • Cite checking legal documents using electronic and hard copy citation resources
  • Identifying and pursing next steps in litigation or adjudication process and taking the initiative to draft legal documents to support litigation
  • Compiling exhibits and discovery
  • Files documents in all levels of courts and board before which the division practices.

In addition, this position performs entry-level paralegal duties such as: drafting standard interrogatories, assisting attorneys with deposition and case summaries; conducting basic legal research; drafting requests for
production and responses; and organizing and preparing trial notebooks, pleadings, and exhibits to be used at trial. Prepares trial/administrative hearing exhibits and courtroom aids incorporating current technology.
Utilizes databases for document management. Reviews discovery requests provided by opposing party and identifies necessary information needed to obtain appropriate records.

Qualifications
Option 1: High School diploma or equivalent and four years of experience in a legal environment in support of an attorney, administrative law judge(s), review judge(s) or equivalent;

Option 2: One year as a Legal Assistant 2;

Option 3: A two-year degree in Legal Secretary Studies, Paralegal Studies or related field of study plus two (2) years of legal office experience.

A Bachelor’s degree may substitute for the Legal Secretary or Paralegal degree.

Supplemental Information
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:

• A letter of interest, describing your specific qualifications for the position;
  • A current resume detailing experience, education, and current salary.

READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION COMPLETELY:

• Carefully review your application for accuracy, spelling and grammar before submitting.
  • You may not reapply to this posting for 30 days.
  • The initial screening of applications will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the “work experience” and “education” sections of your application in www.careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
  • A resume will not substitute for completing the “work experience” section of the application.
  • All information may be verified and documentation may be required.

The Office of the Attorney General is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability.

Persons requiring reasonable accommodation in the application process or requiring this announcement in an alternative format may contact Tracy Robinson at (360) 586-7693 or Washington Relay Service at (800) 676-3777 or www.washingtonrelay.com.

For questions regarding this recruitment or assistance with the application process, please contact Judith Vandergeest at (360) 586-7691 or judithv@atg.wa.gov.

If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please call NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or support@neogov.com.

More than Just a Paycheck!
Employee benefits are not just about the kind of services you get, they are also about how much you may have to pay out of pocket. Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.

We understand that your life revolves around more than just your career and that your priority is making sure that you and your family will maintain health and financial security. That’s why choice is a key component of our benefits package. We have a selection of health and retirement plans, paid leave, staff training and other compensation benefits that you can mix and match to meet your current and future needs.

Read about our benefits:
The following information describes typical benefits available for full-time employees who are expected to work more than six months. Actual benefits may vary by appointment type or be prorated for other than full-time work. Check with the agency human resource office for specific benefit information.
Insurance Benefits
Employees and families are covered by medical (including vision), dental and basic life insurance.  There are multiple medical plans with affordable monthly premiums that offer coverage throughout the state.  Staff are eligible to enroll each year in a medical flexible spending account which enables them to use tax-deferred dollars toward their health care expenses.  Employees are also covered by basic life and long term disability insurance, with the option to purchase additional coverage amounts.  To view premium rates, coverage choice in your area and how to enroll, please visit the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) website.
Retirement and Deferred Compensation
State Employees are members of the Washington Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).  New employees have the option of two employer contributed retirement programs.  For additional information, check out the Department of Retirement Systems‘ web site.

Employees also have the ability to participate in the Deferred Compensation Program (DCP).  This is a supplemental retirement savings program (similar to an IRA) that allows you control over the amount of pre-tax salary dollars you defer as well as the flexibility to choose between multiple investment options.

Vacation (Annual Leave)
You begin accruing vacation starting your first month of employment. Since we value your loyalty, the amount of vacation you can accrue increases the longer you work with us. Washington State supports members of the armed forces with 21 days paid military leave per year. Vacation accrues for full-time employees per WAC 357-31-165.

Holidays

Full-time employees are entitled to eleven* paid holidays:

HOLIDAY
DATE
New Year’s Day
January 1
Martin Luther King, Jr’s birthday
Third Monday in January
Presidents’ Day
Third Monday in February
Memorial Day
Last Monday in May
Independence Day
July 4
Labor Day
First Monday in September
Veterans’ Day
November 11
Thanksgiving Day
Fourth Thursday in November & Friday after
Christmas Day
December 25
Personal Holiday
Employee’s selection each calendar year

*Employees who are members of certain Unions are entitled to an additional personal leave day of their choice. Please refer to specific Collective Bargaining Agreements for more information.

Social Security
All state employees are covered by the federal Social Security and Medicare systems. The state and the employee pay an equal amount into the system.
Sick Leave
Full-time employees earn eight hours of sick leave per month. Paid sick leave may be used for reasons included in WAC 357-31-130.
Please visit the State HR Website for more detailed information.
01
1000allClassified. Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony within the past ten (10) years? (Answering yes will not automatically bar you from employment.)

• Yes
  • No
02
1000 Legal Asst. 3-01: Which of the following best describes your education and/or experience?

• High School diploma or equivalent and four years of experience in a legal environment in support of an attorney, administrative law judge(s), review judge(s) or equivalent.
  • One year as a Legal Assistant 2.
  • A two-year degree in Legal Secretary Studies, Paralegal Studies or related field of study plus 2 years of legal office experience.
  • A Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years of legal office experience.
  • None of the above.
03
1000 Legal Asst. 3-02: How many of these five word processing functions can you readily demonstrate: (1) setting margins; (2) formatting documents; (3) working with columns and tables; (4) developing, running, and managing macros; or (5) adding cross references?

• None, but I am willing to learn
  • 1 or 2 functions
  • 3 functions
  • 4 functions
  • 5 functions
04
1000 Legal Asst. 3-03: How many of these five word processing functions can you readily demonstrate: (1) moving text; (2) finding and replacing text; (3) creating, enhancing, and organizing forms; (4) creating tables of contents and/or tables of authority; or (5) setting up tracking feature parameters for reviewing documents?

• None, but I am willing to learn
  • 1 or 2 functions
  • 3 functions
  • 4 functions
  • 5 functions
05
1000 Legal Asst. 3-04: Which of the following best describes your experience using electronic calendaring software (e.g., Microsoft Outlook) for scheduling appointments and events?

• No experience, but I am willing to learn.
  • I have some training or experience with calendar software but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have used an electronic calendar program but not in a legal/law office environment.
  • I have used an electronic calendar program in a legal/law office environment and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided training to others in the use of this type of software to others.
06
1000 Legal Asst. 3-05: Which of the following best describes your experience working in an environment with frequent pressures, such as short deadlines and frequent interruptions?

• I have not worked in this type of environment but am willing to.
  • I have worked in a non-legal environment like this for less than two years.
  • I have worked in a non-legal environment like this for more than two years.
  • I have worked in a legal office environment like this for less than two years.
  • I have worked in a legal office environment like this for more than two years.
07
1000 Legal Asst. 3-06: Which of the following best describes your experience preparing legal documents such as discovery responses, appellate briefs, tables of contents, and tables of authority, including applying rules regarding content, order of presentation, formatting, page limitations, etc.?

• I do not have this type of experience nor any related training but I am willing to learn.
  • I have received training in preparing these types of documents but have no job experience.
  • I have utilized templates to prepare these types of documents.
  • I have created these types of documents without an existing template, per instructions from an attorney or paralegal, and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instructions to others in the preparation of these types of documents.
08
1000 Legal Asst. 3-07: Which of the following best describes your experience verifying the accuracy of and properly formatting legal citations?

• No experience, but willing to learn.
  • I have training in how to verify and format legal citations, but do not have any job experience doing so.
  • I have typed legal citations on the job when they were written out for me.
  • I have experience verifying and formatting legal citations and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instructions to others in verifying and formatting legal citations.
09
1000 Legal Asst. 3-08: Which of the following best describes your job experience revising and correcting business or legal documents for grammar, punctuation, tone, and accuracy?

• I do not have this type of experience nor any related training, but I am willing to learn.
  • I have received training in revising/correcting these types of documents, but have no job experience doing so.
  • I have job experience revising and correcting these types of documents, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have revised/corrected these types of documents and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in revising/correcting these types of documents.
10
1000 Legal Asst. 3-09: Which of the following best describes your experience in a job that required knowledge of legal terminology in order to read and interpret legal documents, and produce written and oral communication using legal terms (e.g., subpoena, deposition, interrogatories)?

• I have not worked in this type of environment nor do I have any training in legal terminology, but I am willing to learn.
  • I have received some training in legal terminology, but have not worked in a job that required it.
  • I have worked in a job that required the usage of legal terms, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have worked in a job that required the usage of legal terms and feel comfortable using them on a daily basis.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in the usage of legal terms on the job.
11
1000 Legal Asst. 3-10: Which of the following best describes your experience reading and interpreting legal documents such as client correspondence, court filings, statutes, and court rules?

• I have received training in reading and interpreting these types of documents, but have no job experience doing so.
  • I have job experience reading and interpreting these types of documents, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have read and interpreted these types of documents and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in reading and interpreting these types of documents.
12
1000 Legal Asst. 3-11: Which of the following best describes your job experience reviewing incoming documents (e.g., mail, e-mail, faxes) to determine their relevance and any actions needed (e.g., distribute to appropriate parties, bring to immediate attention of receiver)?

• I have reviewed these types of documents for their relevance and actions needed, but not in a legal office.
  • I have reviewed these types of documents for their relevance and actions needed in a legal office.
  • I have reviewed these types of documents for their relevance/actions needed in a legal office and delivered urgent items to appropriate parties.
  • I have the experience described above and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in reviewing documents.
13
1000 Legal Asst. 3-12: Which of the following best describes your experience organizing and preparing documents for use during trial, such as jury instructions, exhibits, and notebooks?

• I have received training in organizing and preparing these types of documents, but have no job experience.
  • I have organized and prepared these types of documents 1-2 times on the job, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have organized and prepared these types of documents many times on the job and can do so independently.
  • I have the experience described above and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in the preparation of these types of documents.
14
1000 Legal Asst. 3-13: Which of the following best describes your experience establishing and maintaining case files and ensuring that documents (e.g., pleadings, reports) are filed properly?

• I have received training in maintaining case files, but have no job experience.
  • I have maintained files, but not case files in a legal office.
  • I have maintained case files in a legal office and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided training or instruction to others in maintaining case files.
15
1000 Legal Asst. 3-14: Which of the following best describes your experience using legal research tools (e.g., Westlaw, reference texts) to locate cases and verify case histories?

• I have received training in conducting this type of research, but have no job experience doing so.
  • I have job experience conducting this type of research, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have conducted this type of legal research many times and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training/instruction to others in conducting this type of legal research.
16
1000 Legal Asst. 3-15: Which of the following best describes your experience determining the appropriate court rules/procedures and processing documents according to court rules?

• I have received training in conducting these activities, but have no job experience doing so.
  • I have job experience conducting these activities, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have conducted these activities many times and can do so independently.
  • I have the above experience and I have provided formal training or instruction to others in conducting these activities.
17
1000 Legal Asst. 3-16: Which of the following best describes your experience training and coaching co-workers in a legal office to provide them with information, techniques, feedback, and encouragement?

• I have occasionally provided mentoring/coaching to co-workers, but not in a legal office.
  • I have occasionally provided mentoring/coaching to at least one co-worker in a legal office.
  • I have occasionally provided mentoring/coaching to at least three co-workers in a legal office.
  • I have provided ongoing formal training or structured presentations to co-workers in a legal office.
18
1000 Legal Asst. 3-17: Which of the following best describes your experience creating depositions or case summaries to capture the key points and implications?

• I have received training in creating these types of documents, but have no job experience preparing them.
  • I have created these types of documents on the job, but I may require additional training/experience.
  • I have created these types of documents many times and can do so independently.
  • I have provided formal training or instruction to others in the creation of these types of documents.
19
1000allClassified: Have you participated, whether as an attorney, paralegal, legal assistant, or in any other capacity, in the representation of any party in a matter where the party’s interest was materially adverse to that of the State, its agencies, or its officers or employees? If yes, please identify all such matters, including the parties to the matter, the court and cause number of the matter, and your role in the matter. If no, please enter N/A. If you require additional space, please attach additional sheets and indicate your attachment here.
20
1000allClassified: Have you participated as a judge, arbitrator, mediator, adjudicative officer, or as a law clerk to such a person, in a matter in which the State or any of its agencies, officers, or employees were a party? If yes, please identify all such matters, including the parties to the matter, the court and cause number of the matter, and your role in the matter. If no, please enter N/A. If you require additional space, please attach additional sheets and indicate your attachment here.
21
1000allClassified: Is there any other matter, person, entity, or personal interest that might present a conflict of interest or otherwise limit your ability to perform work for the Attorney General’s Office or represent a state agency, officer, or employee? If yes, please identify such matters, persons, entities, or personal interests with sufficient detail to allow the Attorney General’s Office to understand the nature of the potential conflict of interest. You are not required to disclose any pending or contemplated complaint or dispute for which the law allows you to remain anonymous; however, you are responsible for not accepting assignments that would violate conflict of interest or confidentiality provisions of the Rules of Professional Conduct or other laws with regard to such matters. If no, please enter N/A. If you require additional space, please attach additional sheets and indicate your attachment here.
22
1000allClassified. Where did you hear about our job opening?

Required Question

Agency
State of Washington
Address
View Job Posting for Agency Information

View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.

Phone
View Posting for Agency Contact