Education Specialist Internship
Nisqually Reach Nature Center (NRNC)
4949 D’Milluhr Dr. NE, Olympia WA 98516
Spring Internship – April 2nd – June 9th
Summer Internship – Negotiated
Spring Internship – February 23rd
Summer Internship – May 11th
NRNC is looking for an enthusiastic person interested in working with our estuarine environmental science education program.
The successful candidate is dedicated to the local environment, research, and education, has great communication skills, and understands what it takes to promote the understanding, appreciation, and conservation of the Nisqually ecosystem.
For over 30 years, NRNC has been a destination for bird watchers, boaters, fishermen, tribal communities, hunters, and nature enthusiasts. NRNC is a great place to work! It is led by an Executive Director and is a volunteer-run, membership-supported non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization. Located on Luhr Beach, we are passionate about the conservation of the environment and maintaining opportunities for citizens of Washington.
Work with center director, education staff, and volunteers to design and conduct hands-on environmental education programs based on scientific collection principles through our spring and summer education program.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Create presentations for educational purposes aimed at youth ages 7-17
- Teach complex scientific principles to youth
- Coordinate volunteers and assist Education Director
- Work a flexible schedule including weekends
- Work independently and be self-motivated
- Update NRNC websites and social media output
Have Knowledge of:
- Environmental Education
- Marine science biological systems
- Watershed & estuarine ecosystems
- Puget Sound aquatic species
- Environmental education teaching techniques
- Scheduling (multiple individuals, locations, times, days, etc.)
- Help to lead school programs at the center during Spring or Summer 2018
- Learn NRNC inquiry based programs and assist Education Director with Summer camps in 2018
- Create educational programs
- Log hours and create a written dialog about experiences at end of internship.
Desired Qualifications: College course work involving major study in marine biology, fisheries, natural sciences, education or a closely related field.
For Questions, please contact:
April Roe, 484-264-5441
To apply please submit the following materials to the e-mail address below:
- Cover letter describing your interest and how you are qualified for this opportunity
- Resume with detailed employment history (including dates of employment, job title, employer, and job duties)E-mail materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By submitting materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. Nisqually Reach Nature Center may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
- Subject Line: Education Internship