NOW HIRING 2018 TREES FOR NEIGHBORHOODS SUMMER CREW MEMBERS:
To apply, send your resume to Jessica Farmer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, starting May 29, 2018.
Since 2009, the City of Seattle’s Trees for Neighborhoods project has helped Seattle residents plant over 8,300 trees in their yards and along the street. That’s 8,300 more trees working to clean our air and water, make our streets more walkable, and our neighborhoods healthier!
UW Botanic Gardens will be supporting the Trees for Neighborhoods project in summer and fall 2018, and we have openings for two summer crew members. Openings for fall crew members will be posted in late summer. We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply.
Summer Crew (2 positions)
Pay rate: $15.45/hour
Start date: mid-late July, 2018
End date: early/mid-September, 2018 Estimated total hours: 173 hours/person
Most work will occur during normal business hours, but some evening or weekend hours may be required. Work will take place at the Center for Urban Horticulture (3501 NE 41st St., Seattle), and at various residential locations and community centers throughout Seattle.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct a field evaluation of selected street trees planted through the Trees for Neighborhoods program, driving a UW vehicle to sites
- Visit addresses provided by Trees for Neighborhoods staff and mark proposed street tree planting sites for this year’s program
- Assist occasionally with educational events including pruning workshops, “right tree, right place” workshops, and outreach events
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a University of Washington vehicle throughout Seattle
- Knowledge of and experience with tree planting and care
- Experience communicating with the public and/or providing excellent customer service
- Ability to continuously stand or walk frequently
- Ability to bend, climb stairs, lift, and squat occasionally
- Crew members with bilingual skills in Spanish, Mandarin, and Vietnamese are strongly desired