GIS Extra Hire (24 – 32 Hours Per Week)
GIS Extra Hire (24 – 32 Hours Per Week)
*THIS POSITION IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR COUNTY BENEFITS*This is technical, analytical work for Pierce County’s Planning and Public Works Department. This position will provide technical support for a variety of GIS projects, assisting in data acquisition, conversion, and creation. Work will include analysis, reporting, tracking, and resolution of data quality issues and enhancement of the water network to better serve the business and operational needs of Surface Water Management. Incumbents work with minimal guidance and receive instructions and direction from their management, and/or other technology professionals.
- Position Summary
- The position is responsible for providing the following:
- Deliver technical skills and products in applied GIS technology areas.
- Modify GIS databases.
- Make determinations and decisions on data corrections and accuracy for the project or end product.
- Research historical documents to support current data or corrections.
- Conduct quality control procedures on the products created for the clients and develop information documenting the product.
- Word processing, spreadsheet, database programs including GIS-related software
- Able to work independently.
- 24-32 hours/week
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a GIS certification, Bachelor, or Master program.
- Operation of a personal computer and various software programs.
- ESRI GIS mapping software
- MS Suite
- Supplemental Information
- To be considered for this opportunity please:
Complete and submit an online Pierce County Employment Application.
- If you do not have internet access, you may visit your local public library or any WorkSource location and use their computers.
- Individuals needing accommodation in the application, testing process or need this job announcement in an alternative format you may call Human Resources at (253) 798-7480, at least two days prior to the need.
This is a competitive selection process. Your application form will be reviewed and evaluated for the quality and quantity of education/experience in the areas listed. Applicants whose qualifications most closely correspond to the County’s needs will be eligible for further consideration. Notification of application status normally occurs 4 to 6 weeks after the closing date. Short notice may be given to applicants to participate in further selection processes which may include written, oral and performance examinations, and final interviews.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Pierce County welcomes a diverse workforce. Pierce County does not discriminate based on race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a disabled person.
- Our benefits:
Extra hires are eligible to receive sick leave in accordance with the WA State Minimum Wage Act. Extra hires are not eligible for other County benefits.
All Pierce County employees are covered by the federal Social Security and Medicare systems. The county and the employee pay an equal amount into the system.
Retirement and Deferred Compensation
Pro-tem Judges in District Court, Pro-tem Superior Court Commissioners, Extra Hires with Retirement, and Work Study Students with Retirement are eligible for Retirement and Deferred Compensation and Social Security.
Pierce County employees are members of the State of Washington’s Department of Retirement System (DRS) and depending on the position or previous DRS enrollment may be able to enroll in one of many programs DRS offers. For additional information, check out the Department of Retirement Systems’ web site.
01Please describe your college education and major coursework which best qualifies you for this position.02Please list the software you are most familiar with.03Are you experienced with Esri software? If yes, which Esri software packages are you most familiar with and describe your experience with them.04Do you have experience editing enterprise GIS databases? If yes, please describe your experience in detail.05Tell us why you are interested in this position and your general career goals.
- Pierce County
Pierce County Human Resources
950 Fawcett Avenue, Suite 200
Tacoma, Washington, 98402
- (253) 798-7480
For Sheriff’s Department positions: 253-798-6250