Environmental Project Controller-TPS4
at State of Washington
- Please Note: The salary listed for this position includes the Legislative approved general wage increase of 2% effective July 1, 2018
WSDOT is currently seeking a Project Controller to fill a pivotal role in the Northwest Region’s Environmental Office. This position is responsible for project schedule and budget estimating, developing, managing, and reporting functions for all projects assigned to the office. The Project Controller works closely with managers, engineers, and other staff, in the environmental office, maintenance, project design and construction offices financial management, and headquarters staff to implement and manage a NW Region Environmental Office project management system. This position supports and assists the NW Region’s Environmental Management Team (EMT) in making business decisions, tools, and processes, particularly those that influence the effectiveness and efficiency of workforce allocation and program delivery.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Develops and leads an effective system of project management that defines each project’s environmental goals, objectives, and deliverables.
- Create and maintain each project’s environmental budget and schedule; analyzes and reports work progress for each project; proactively identifies budget and schedule variances and risks; recommends actions to improve each project’s progress; applies change management when needed; and recommends actions to improve efficiency and effectiveness of project delivery.
- Point of contact for design offices and program management to coordinate new project starts by leading the development of cost and schedule estimates.
- Provide staff with real-time project schedule and budget information, tracking work as it progresses against the estimated schedule and budget for each deliverable assigned and informing staff of any developing schedule or budget variances.
- Develop and deliver both group and individualized project management tools and training for environmental managers, staff and transportation engineers.
- Support and assist the Environmental Management Team (EMT) in making business related decisions, particularly those that may affect the effectiveness and efficiency of workforce allocation and project delivery.
- Maintain an office-wide workforce planning estimate for the NW Region Environmental Office that both analyzes current/future workforce needs and reviews past workforce planning estimates and actuals to continually improve future projection accuracy.
- Provide training and guidance on budget/schedule best practices and project management tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal Candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, environmental science(s), planning, engineering, or a closely related field and a minimum of three years of related professional work experience.
- Knowledge of project management and control business processes for the delivery of capital construction projects.
- Knowledge of environmental and/or transportation issues.
- Strong computer and typing skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Technologically savvy: ability to quickly learn an array of WSDOT specific software.
- Valid driver’s license.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will only be accepted electronically. Please select the large apply button at the top of this announcement for instructions. You may need to create a profile and account in Washington State’s automated tracking system, NeoGov.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please call Cody Buchanan at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-NWR-11973.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.