Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) is seeking a reliable, analytical, detail-oriented individual for the full-time position of Research Associate. MMSA (www.mmsa.org(link is external)) is a unique organization in Augusta, Maine, whose mission is to increase aspirations and improve performance in K-16 STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) education, both in and outside of school.
Salary Range: $30,000 – $45,000
The Research Associate will assist with many aspects of research and evaluation studies, including data collection and analysis. Such studies typically have the goal of determining the appeal and effectiveness of existing MMSA programs, as well as providing feedback to the project team about how programs might be improved, and determining the overall impact of such programs. Studies use a range of data collection methods, including surveys, phone calls, focus groups, and in-person interviews with youth and adults. The Associate will:
- Work with MMSA staff to create and refine appropriate data-collection tools
- Conduct interviews with youth and adults, by phone, online, and in person
- Take detailed notes and ask clarifying questions where needed
- Code, organize, and analyze both qualitative and quantitative data
- Contribute to the designing and refining of survey, interview, and observation instruments
- Write and edit reports
- Create and maintain simple data-storage and documentation systems
- Other duties as assigned
- BA/BS in any field is required
- Capacity to listen carefully and ask clarifying questions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to think analytically and with attention to detail
- Capable of working independently and remotely
- Ability to work with project management software such as Microsoft Excel and Word; cloud-based systems such as box.com, Google drive, and Airtable; and our video conferencing application Zoom
- Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis—including coursework in statistics, educational assessment, and/or research methodology
- Experience with statistical packages such as SPSS, R and/or qualitative software such as NVivo or Atlas.ti
- Background or interest in STEM education in Maine
The Associate will be expected to attend at least weekly team meetings at the MMSA offices in person, and will be expected to travel occasionally (including overnights) to collect data at locations elsewhere in Maine or nationally (with travel expenses paid by MMSA). They will be able to work from home for part of their time, if desired.
Please send a letter of interest that demonstrates qualifications, resume, and three academic or professional references by email to HR@mmsa.org(link sends e-mail) or by regular mail to Human Resource Director, 219 Capitol Street, Augusta, ME 04330. Materials should be submitted by August 15, 2018 to ensure full consideration.