Job Announcement: Wild Grief Project Coordinator
20 hrs per week for 6 months April – September 2019
Rate of $18/hour + vacation/sick leave
Background: Wild Grief merges guided hikes and peer support for bereaved teens and adults; overnight backpack trips for grieving teens and day hikes for all ages. We are a young organization composed of many volunteers with experience in wilderness leadership, outdoor education, grief support groups, and counseling. The person we are looking for will help us create structure and organization to continue and expand our work. This position will be our first paid staff member. We will guide you and then you will help us get to the next level of effectiveness.
Wild Grief is a unique organization, and we are proud of the work we have done to connect people to the outdoors as they are on their grief journey. We have the incredible honor to be witness to the transformation that is possible when teens make connections with each other, or the quality of silence held by a group walking on the trail together.
The successful candidate will help us in all aspects of our work and will need to be adaptable, focused, inspired by what we do and perhaps become inspiring to others. We have a vision to create a model for grief support that can be share with other groups around the country. Our core values include equal access and respect for all people. This includes our commitment to provide our services without charge.
Job Description: This position is responsible for coordinating the Wild Grief Teen Wilderness Hikes and Community Hikes in 2019. This position is based in Olympia, WA. We do not have an office location. Wild Grief was incorporated as a non-profit, with 501 (c) (3) status, in Olympia, Washington in December 2015.
- Experience with project coordination.
- Ability to work independently and remotely.
- Self-starter and well organized.
- Passionate about youth and the outdoors.
- Excellent communication and and writing ability.
- Ability to set up administrative systems and processes.
- Flexible schedule, available up to three weekend days per month and two weekday nights per month.
Preferred/Bonus (we expect no one to be able to check all these boxes):
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Outdoor expedition planning experience.
- Grief and loss support experience.
- Non-profit experience (volunteer or staff roles).
- Skills: Outdoor education, counseling, program coordination, wilderness first aid.
- Outgoing and warm personality, people person.
- Ability to work with a variety of people, experience with conflict resolution.
- Social media and web experience.
- Interested in supporting the growth of this role.
- Long term interest in this type of work.
Teen Wilderness Hike:
- Prepare and share recruitment information widely – social media, emails, in person visits with board members.
- Coordinate the recruitment, application and intake process for Teen Wilderness Hike participants.
- Regular email contact with applicants and accepted families.
- Working with board and volunteers to schedule intake interviews, prepare for Cook out and Gear Check,
Teen Hike, and Reunion Hike.
- Coordinate gear check out needs, connecting with Washington Trails Association to borrow gear.
- Maintain records of background checks and contact information for volunteer Teen Hike guides.
- Compile materials for the Wild Grief Teen Wilderness Hike manual.
Wild Grief Community Programs
- Capture participation in all Wild Grief programs.
- Attend a minimum of two Hike Habits, and both Day Hikes.
- Ensure forms are up to date and available for all Hike Habit and Day Hike programs. Deliver packet to hike leader the week before the hike.
- Promote and coordinate registrations for Day Hikes. Respond to emails and coordinate participant needs before and day of hike.
General Wild Grief Business
- Share regular updates to the board.
- Develop and test systems for maintaining records, information and feedback from participants.
- Write newsletter articles.
- Paid to attend hike leader trainings.
- Volunteer recruitment, coordination and retention.
- Other duties as assigned.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Wild Grief Project Coordinator Application. Applications due by February 25th, 2019.