UW EarthLab is seeking outgoing and independent individuals who are excited to work outdoors in the
Olympic, Mount Baker-Snoqualmie, and Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests!
Technicians will spend the majority of their time surveying visitors to National Forests and collecting other data on recreational use. They will
be joining a larger team studying recreation using data from social media and other sources. Data collected during this project will be used by the US Forest Service to inform planning in the National Forests.
When: October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020.
Part time positions October-April and full time positions May-September.
• Friendly and willing to approach visitors at National Forest survey sites.
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
• Excited to work outdoors, on weekends, and in all weather conditions.
• Good-natured and amiable team member, even during long drives and demanding situations
• Experience conducting surveys and following detailed protocols.
• Experience driving on unpaved roads and in winter weather conditions
• Ability to use GPS and maps for navigation.
• Paid positions or student internships for credits.
• Travel expenses covered.
• Days off in the Olympic, Mount Baker-Snoqualmie, and Okanogan-Wenatchee Nationals Forests to
• Potential to gain field crew leadership and research experience
• Opportunity to work closely with USFS staff