The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a part-time communications associate in our Population and Sustainability program to manage the online presence for innovative campaigns addressing the impact of human population growth and overconsumption on wildlife and the planet. This position reports to the Population and Sustainability Director based in Portland. This is a 25 hour/week position. The position description online will say it is based in Tucson but that is just where our headquarters are. This is a remote position.
The Population and Sustainability program creates groundbreaking, creative campaigns and outreach projects focused on human population growth, reproductive rights and overconsumption, a just transition to wildlife-friendly energy and food systems reform to minimize waste and reduce meat and dairy consumption and production. Working closely with the population and sustainability team, the communications associate oversees our social media presence, manages websites and helps create online content for campaigns such as our Endangered Species Condoms Project, Take Extinction Off Your Plate, Wild Energy and more. The communications associate will play a key role in developing our social media and web strategies and creating high-impact communications including social media posts, memes, fact sheets, web pages and creative media products that drive the national discussion about the human impact on wildlife. This an exciting and challenging opportunity for a creative person interested in changing how people think about and act on some of the most important issues of our time.
- Develop and execute online communication strategies to raise public awareness and inspire action.
- Manage social media accounts across several platforms.
- Oversee website maintenance and updates to multiple campaign websites.
- Write and edit online content for social media and webpages.
- Work collaboratively with program staff to develop social media campaign strategies.
- Work collaboratively with program staff to produce outreach materials, including but not limited to web content, fact sheets, reports and creative media.
- Create engaging online graphics for social media and webpages.
- Engage with supporters and allies on social media.
- Track news, trends and social media conversations around our key issues.
- Provide other communications support for campaigns, as assigned.
How to Apply:
Please apply by submitting a résumé and thoughtful cover letter outlining your relevant experience and interest in the position via our website at https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs/(link is external).
The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a professional communicator, with a preference for work in the environmental or nonprofit field.
- Experience producing professional social media communications and managing social media presence for a team.
- A demonstrated understanding of social media strategy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of multiple social media platforms and interest in emerging social media trends.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- A demonstrated ability to research, synthesize and translate information on a variety of topics into clear communication for a lay audience.
- Graphic design skills preferred.
- Website management skills and experience with Adobe Dreamweaver preferred.
- Experience creating and editing short videos desirable.
- Experience working collaboratively with diverse groups of people.
- Proven ability to think creatively and strategically, and manage multiple projects.
- A demonstrated ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Strong work ethic and time-management skills.
- Interest in and passion for sustainability and environmental and wildlife protection.