Sea-Bird Scientific was formed in 2010 by the union of Sea-Bird Electronics (Bellevue, WA), WET Labs (Philomath, OR) and Satlantic (Halifax, NS) (wholly owned subsidiaries of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR)). Sea-Bird Scientific is the world’s leading provider of advanced technology for oceanographic research enabling the world’s leading scientists to push the boundaries of ocean knowledge. Sea-Bird Scientific works with a global network of international representatives and partners to serve customers in more than 30 countries around the world. Our dedicated team is comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds and interests with a common goal of serving the world’s oceanographic community with leading edge technology and solutions. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented. Working at one of our locations gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging “stretch” opportunities.
Sea-Bird Scientific is an EEO / AA employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (sex), gender identity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information regarding our company’s, please visit the Sea-Bird Scientific website at www.seabird.com.
Work directly with our customers to provide data quality that exceeds requirements for understanding climate level change in our oceans; at times this may include traveling to customer sites / ocean going vessels
Work with scientific customers to improve their measurements, contributing to their success by diagnosing issues and if something isn’t right, acting on behalf of Sea-Bird to make it so. This may involve prescribing changes in characterization/calibration, measurement methodology, data correction, or as appropriate driving cross-functional teams to undertake changes in instrument design
Custodian of maintaining strong cross-functional relationships with key members of the scientific community by helping map customers to appropriate contacts at Sea-Bird and planned collaboration opportunities in partnership with Sales, Product Management and Service
Partner with Sales and Product Management to drive scientific partnerships in China
Grow the global impact of Sea-Bird Scientific University
Act as a liaison, communicating customer needs to appropriate departments
Further ocean science and promote understanding of Sea-Bird’s solutions by attending conferences, speaking engagements, writing papers, developing posters, etc.
Research and development of scientific methods and measurement techniques of optical sensors including: ocean color radiometers, optical nutrient sensors, bio-optical sensors, and inherent optical property sensors
Calibration and metrology improvements for optical product lines
Support optical design analyses for new product development
Mentoring engineers and scientists within the organization
Participate directly on cross cross-functional product development teams, ensuring impactful contributions
Deepen our calibration capabilities, continually improving and applying to new technologies
Partner with Service, Engineering, Product Management and Sales, consulting on science and providing VOC as needed
- A passion for improving ocean sensing technology
- PhD in oceanography or related field with relevant focus on ocean optics or a Master’s degree with 5 years of ocean optics experience
- Experience partnering with scientists both domestic and international
- Expertise in ocean color remote sensing/marine bio-optics and/or ocean ecology and biogeochemistry. Other expertise fields to be considered include: oceanography, climate and atmospheric sciences, marine biogeochemistry, phytoplankton ecosystem ecology and photobiology
- Experience in using radiometric sensors, optical instrumentation (e.g. fluorescence, scattering, absorption) and CTDs to collect scientific data in the ocean and presenting it at international conferences
- Recent participation in the form of presentations or posters at scientific conferences
- Demonstrated strong written skills (e.g. publications, reports, articles)
- Statistical skills such as uncertainty propagation analyses, Monte Carlo, etc
- Optical / radiative transfer modeling expertise skills preferred.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport across the organization with technical and non-technical team members alike
- Strong project and time management skills
- Advanced scientific programming skills (MATLAB®, python, R, or similar languages), statistical analyses skills (signal processing, regressions), data processing, analysis and visualization preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee may occasionally squat, turn/twist, or reach. The employee is regularly using hands to: handle, feel or operate objects, and computer keyboards. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk, hear, and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift, carry, push or pull up to 20 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment generally consists of an indoor office environment with good ventilation, adequate lighting, and low noise levels. At times this role will be required to be in non office environments (e.g., ships, boats, coast lines) that include exposure to water, uneven and/or moving surfaces.
The duties listed in job descriptions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
External hiring into this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and background check and possible credit history review.
: Sea-Bird Electronics
: North America-North America-United States-OR-Philomath
: North America-North America-United States-WA-Bellevue