- Job ID
- Information Technology
- Bargaining Unit
- Min (Annual)
- USD $81,203.00/Yr.
- Max (Annual)
- USD $113,682.00/Yr.
- Min Hiring Range
- USD $81,203.00/Yr.
- Max Hiring Range
- USD $89,324.00/Yr.
Under general supervision, this position will provide central oversight and coordination of activities to ensure thoroughness, accuracy and currency of the mapping-related information we produce. This function will improve Community Transit’s overall service delivery, resulting in a better customer experience.
Spatial Data Planning and Organization:
- Develop and implement a spatial data (base map) plan to maintain currency and consistency of spatial datasets and software tools that support operations agency-wide.
- Manage and oversee the process by which spatial data and software tools are kept current.
- Determine cost of the overall plan and recommend sufficient budget funds to support.
- Develop standard operating procedure documentation.
- Identify and implement short-term and long-term workflow improvements.
- Develop data use documentation, including data source, destination, users and purpose.
- Monitor work processes and report progress toward goals.
- Manage competing priorities and interests.
Data Acquisition and Maintenance:
- Lead efforts to collect, organize, and maintain spatial datasets in ArcGIS using best practices, including but not limited to designing data tables, applying data validation, and implementing procedures to support data needs.
- Acquire new datasets as outlined in the spatial data plan. Verify their fitness for purpose, including quality and completeness.
- As required, build GIS layers to supplement gaps.
- Create, update and maintain datasets specific to Community Transit including but not limited to stop locations, route segments and ADA information.
- Manage and oversee the change control process for updating stop information. Ensure adherence to standard operating procedures for data collection. Assist in field collection of data as needed
Administration of Application Data:
- In collaboration with application administrators and vendors, develop and implement plans for preparation, testing and rollout of spatial datasets for third party applications.
- Ensure integration of consistent spatial datasets across all third party applications agency-wide.
- As issues arise, determine and execute solutions.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of tools for automation of management, system integration and distribution of spatial datasets.
- Ensure that methods and tools are in alignment with industry best practices.
Engagement and support:
- Engage internal and external partners in the development, use and integration of spatial data and systems.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to internal and external partners.
- Provide spatial data and spatial data software tool technical support, including problem identification, investigation, and resolution for all end users.
- In the subject matter role capacity, evaluate solutions for new base map-related business needs.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- A bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, computer science, planning, engineering OR an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Three years progressively responsible experience managing data in a geographic information systems environment.
- Three years of experience providing support for production based systems.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours (7 x 24 x 365 on call rotation) to support critical transit applications and systems as required.
- Ability to drive a CT company vehicle; must possess a valid WA State Driver’s license at time of hire.
- Knowledge of transportation industry.
- Experience in leading teams or projects and applying project management methods and techniques.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Qualification to enter this position requires knowledge of the following:
- Software applications including spatial analysis tools, mapping, word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Best practices related to data collection, processing, modeling, management, stewardship and reporting; including spatial analysis and relational database theory.
- Project management methods and techniques.
Qualification to enter this position requires skill in:
Data and Analysis
- Developing, managing and using spatial and tabular data and geographic information systems.
- Interpretation of spatial data information including aerial photos or imagery.
- Compiling, processing and reviewing, various types of data to support operations.
- Consistently considering a variety of techniques and selecting the most appropriate, taking into account the goals, pros/cons and resource requirements.
- Ensuring that data, methods and changes are organized, documented, and communicated in a way that they can be understood and acted upon effectively.
- Communicating complex technical information effectively using verbal, written and visual communication skills including public speaking. Adapting communication style to various audiences.
- The use of computers and a variety of software including ArcGIS, Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Skill in communication and interpersonal relations as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor and the general public.
Organizational influence and leadership
- Providing high quality customer service.
- Gaining the support of others through persuasiveness, credibility and expertise. Inspiring others to collaborate voluntarily.
- Communicating effectively within interdisciplinary teams; including sharing accurate and pertinent information in a timely manner.
- Consistently building and maintaining positive working relationships internally and externally, even in times of stress and conflict.
- Participating in, facilitating, and supporting conflict resolution; exchanging feedback in an open, constructive, and professional manner.
- Leading efforts to collaboratively make decisions, establish and meet timelines and deliver results that meet customer needs.
- Improving work processes and efficiency.
- Writing clear and concise documentation.
- Managing projects, setting clear, reasonable expectations and facilitating delivery and achievement.
Problem-solving and strategic judgment
- Organizing and prioritizing work despite tight deadlines, multiple customers, and competing priorities; monitoring and reporting progress towards goals.
- Exhibiting situational awareness and strategic judgment. Recognizing when sources of information and/or partners should be consulted and when to apply past experiences.
- Using intelligence, logical thinking, common sense, hard work and tenacity to solve difficult and complex challenges.
- Identifying opportunities for creative problem solving while staying within the parameters of good practice.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, repetitive motions, carrying.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
On-line applications only at www.communitytransit.org. Please attach a resume for consideration. The evaluation process may include interviews, background checks, reference checks, abstract review and various performance tests.
First consideration will be given to applicants who apply by 11:59 pm, October 27.
If you have a family member, or share the same living quarters of a current Community Transit employee, please let your Human Resources Recruiter know as your eligibility for this position may be affected.
Community Transit provides a tobacco-free and drug-free work environment. As a recipient of federal funds, Community Transit is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on any basis prohibited by Federal, State or Local law. We value and encourage diversity in our workforce. EOE AA/M/F/Vet/Disability. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.