Mercer Slough Educator
Part-time, temporary (full time in the summer)
20 hours/week (January through mid-June), 40 hours/week (mid-June through August)
$16.50 per hour
Who We Are
At Pacific Science Center, our mission is to ignite curiosity in every child and fuel a passion for discovery, experimentation, and critical thinking in all of us. Our colleagues are passionate lifelong learners who live our mission every day. Join our collaborative team and come help steward our warm and welcoming community learning environment at PacSci’s Eastside location: Mercer Slough Environmental Education Center!
You will be joining a team of educators at a 320-acre biologically diverse wetland in Bellevue, WA who share their passion and knowledge of the natural world with participants in Pre-K – 8th grade. You will lead a variety of hands-on, place-based environmental education lessons both indoors and outdoors. Our programs include school field trips, guided nature walks for families, camps, and the option to work with our Weekend Programs team teaching Birthdays. The programs you teach serve diverse groups of students coming from King County and beyond.
What you’ll be doing
- Teaching Pre-K -8th grade School Field Trip programs, Guided Nature Walks, Birthday Programs, Summer Camps, and other programs as assigned
- Modeling respect and appreciation for the environment and the participants
- Giving feedback on curriculum
- Ensuring safety procedures are carefully followed
- Sharing excitement, wonder and enthusiasm for the program and the natural world with all participants
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have environmental education experience
- Have experience working with k-8 youth
- Have a valid First Aid/CPR certification or the ability to become certified (training provided)
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License, and ability to drive 15 passenger van (training provided)
- Ability to work occasional shifts on weekends, if assigned
- Ability to work in inclement weather and in a variety of environmental conditions
- Are team oriented and able to work collaboratively
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access
We, at Pacific Science Center, believe that science is for everyone. We strive to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for colleagues and guests. Please see our commitments to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (I.D.E.A.) posted at PacificScienceCenter.org/About.