The Evergreen State College
Olympia, Washington www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring
This is a full time faculty position starting in the 2015/16 academic year.
The Evergreen State College is seeking a regular, full-time faculty member to teach in the Master of Public Administration (MPA) Program. We seek a candidate with broad knowledge of public administration, tribal governance, finance, and budgeting. The MPA program has 3 concentrations: Tribal Governance, Public Policy, along with Public & Non-profit Administration. The successful candidate will engage in developing contemporary curriculum across all concentrations with reoccurring teaching assignments for the Tribal Governance concentration. The successful candidate will team teach the MPA core curriculum (Context of Public Administration; Doing Democratic Public Administration; Policy, Finance, and Budgeting for Public Administration; Analytical Techniques for Public Service; and Capstone) as well as teach Tribal Governance concentration courses in the areas of Tribal Economics, Sovereignty, Intergovernmental Relations, Tribal Organizations, and Tribal Policy.
- Doctorate degree (Ph.D., D.P.A., D.B.A., J.D. will be considered) in any of the following fields: Public Administration orPublic Affairs, Public Policy, or other related fields (Ex. Political Science, Leadership Studies, Public Management, Business Administration, Indigenous Governance, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Public Budgeting, Community Development, Regional Planning, Non-Profit Administration, Organizational Development);
- Professional experience in working with Native American, or Native Hawaiian, or Alaska Native corporations, governments, or tribal communities; and
- Capacity to teach a variety of courses in the areas of public administration, finance, and budgeting with an emphasis on Native American governments.
- Professional experience working as a member of a team
- College level teaching experience;
- Master’s degree in public administration or public affairs, public policy, or related fields.
- Experience conducting applied social science research;
- Experience mentoring and advising; and
- Experience working with diverse and underrepresented populations.
Review of complete applications begins November 7, 2014. We will continue to accept applications until finalists are selected.
To apply, please submit the following information on our website: http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring
- Voluntary Affirmative Action
Submit the following items as an attachment(s) with an email (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of application that expresses your interest in the position and how your background and experience is a fit for the position;
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice;
- 1-2 page statement of your multicultural experience and/or practice. (more information is available on our website: http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring/multiculturalexperience.htm )
- Examples of scholarly work (research papers or reviews);
- Three current letters of reference from professional colleagues (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email at email@example.com); and
- Optional: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
For questions regarding this position, contact us at:
Faculty Hiring Coordinator
The Evergreen State College
2700 Evergreen Parkway, L-2002
Olympia, WA 98505
(360) 867-6861 voice
(360) 867-6794 fax
(360) 867-6834 TDD
Evergreen is a non-traditional public liberal arts college emphasizing intensive interdisciplinary study and collaborative team-teaching throughout the undergraduate curriculum and in three graduate programs. Teaching is the central work of the faculty at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Successful teaching at Evergreen requires broad-ranging intellectual curiosity and the ability to formulate interdisciplinary questions with faculty colleagues and students.
Recognizing cultural diversity as a defining characteristic of the 21st century, the college has intensified its efforts to become a multicultural institution. Substantive experience and expertise in working across cultural differences are therefore highly desirable for all positions. Committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, TESC is working to build a diverse, broadly trained faculty. We particularly encourage applications from candidates whose race, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or physical disability will contribute to our diversity.
Faculty membership is unranked with salary determined on a non-competitive, open scale based on earned degrees and years of relevant experience.
Evergreen’s fundamental academic commitments are summarized in the Five Foci:
- Interdisciplinary study
- Personal engagement in learning
- Linking theoretical perspectives with practice
- Collaborative/cooperative work
- Teaching across significant differences
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer.
MASTER IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION PROGRAM:
The Evergreen State College’s Master in Public Administration program provides high-quality professional education to students pursuing careers within government agencies, nonprofits, tribal governments, and research and advocacy organizations. We have hundreds of graduates of our program working in responsible positions throughout Washington State and the Northwest. Through our program they gained important knowledge and skills and learned how to be effective advocates for change.
Evergreen’s MPA program is unique, due to our emphasis on social change and democratic governance, and the College’s innovative approach to education. The cornerstones of an Evergreen education, graduate or undergraduate, include collaborative and interdisciplinary teaching and learning, narrative evaluations instead of grades, and an emphasis on experiential learning and engaged discussions encompassing diverse views.
Candidates are encouraged to visit our website to learn more about our unique program: www.evergreen.edu/mpa