Week 2 in review:
My second week at my internships were much different than the first. I was part of a team of five people who’s task was go plant several flats of baby oak trees. The site had already been picked out and the project had been started, but we were able to finish the job and the work site with trees, planting a total of 90 that day. Each one of us were able to operate the tractor which would dig about 2 feet deep holes to plant the trees in. I was really excited for this opportunity, learning that all of us would be able to drive the tractor, because I hadn’t drove this type of tractor before, and it had been years since the last time I drove one. I was impressed by how smooth the driving and operation of all its features were, and was lucky to be in my own little space with the doors closed when it started raining pretty hard on us. The day was long and filled with hard work, but I felt really good leaving at the end of the day, being able to look back over the stretch of land at the work we did. The second time I went in for ecology restoration work, I did wetland monitoring at JBLM, tracking wildlife, specifically amphibian species. We spent the day looking for egg masses in McKay marsh. We found two different species out of the dozen plus that have been spotted in that area. We found Northwestern salamander species, and Northern Red-legged frogs.
At the food bank, I assisted in a few projects. I helped look up nutrition information and type out recipes for future field trips with local school districts. I also assisted in sign making for a presentation to the county in asking for a new plot of land. Although I was not part of the presentation, the sign ended up looking really nice for their display to the city council.

IMG_7145 IMG_7148

Featured Images: Blue protector covers surround the baby oak trees after being placed in the ground.
Header photo: Tractor used for drilling holes and planting.