Building bags to be donated. The bags contained dry goods, including condiments, sauces and dry mixes.

Week 3 in review:
This week I didn’t go in for Ecology restoration work, so instead I was able to use my time for catching up on doing the other part of my internship, and writing and posting blogs for my website. I still went to class on Tuesday and still went into work at the food bank later in the week. This was a fun day to go into workbecause I was able to attend the talk and presentation given to Food Health and Sustainability since they were visiting the same day I was there. It was fun to be able to attend the talk and sit with my former classmates, and then follow up with the rest of their field trip to Fish Tail Brewery and The Bread Peddler. A few students from the class were involved currently and working at both of these places, so it was interesting to hear their perspective of the locations we visited.

Students marking out barcodes on products so they can be given to families during food bank hours.

I have always taken huge interest in brewery tours, and I have spent time in the past brewing my own beer, so I found it incredibly interesting to hear their background about the company, the types of beers they make and their scale of brewing in comparison to my single beer at a time in five gallon carboys at home. We were not able to do any tastings at the end of the tour, since the entire class was not over 21, but they were very helpful with answering questions and giving us a thorough tour. The Bread Peddler was very fun to visit because we were able to meet the head baker, and learn about all their processes and methods they use to make their bread. They were generous and gave us samples of a few different styles of bread at the end of the tour.

Featured Image: Pelleted and dried hops in beer glasses during the Brewery Tour, downtown Olympia.