SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY SURFACE WATER DAY LABORER
City of Everett
$18.00/hr Seasonal Six Month Position
The City of Everett Public Works Department is currently accepting applications for a seasonal Surface Water day laborer. (This employment is temporary (up to six months in duration). It is mandatory that the employee in this position contribute to the Washington State Public Employees Retirement System. This contribution is refundable upon the employees request at the completion of employment. A work permit fee of $8.00 per pay period must also be paid to AFSCME Local No. 113. These positions are not provided with City of Everett benefits.
NATURE OF WORK
This position begins in May and works in the Surface Water Management group. The daily tasks are varied and include outside technical work, interaction with the public, and office work. Once fully trained, tasks are expected to be performed independently.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
• Investigating connectivity of the storm drainage system and providing corrections to the Utility Mapping/GIS group
• Determining locations of streams and creeks and providing GPS data to the Utility Mapping/GIS group
• Dye testing sanitary facilities to check for cross connections to storm drainage
• Office tasks including filing, scanning, and data entry
• Assist in inspection/surveying of stormwater facilities
• Assist in surface water sampling and monitoring
• Equipment calibration and maintenance
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Science/Engineering Coursework – e.g. environmental studies, engineering, surveying, chemistry, biology. Knowledge of stormwater and sewer systems as well as streams and wetlands a plus.
• Ability/willingness to follow science best practices
• Willingness to interact and work with the public and property owners
• Ability to independently organize and manage project schedule
• Computer experience – Excel and Access
• Willingness to work in inclement weather and difficult terrain
• Possession of a valid Washington State driver’s license
Application materials may be accessed via www.everettwa.gov/careers. Completed applications must be submitted through the City’s online application system to be considered. Questions? Contact Heather Griffin, PE, Surface Water Manager, 425-257-7206, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position opens: March 28, 2017
Position closes: Open Until Filled L17047
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of work, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load. Regular and reliable attendance is an essential responsibility of each employee and the ability to work regularly is a requirement for continued employment.