Communications Consultant 4
The Opportunity: The WSDOT Aviation Division is seeking an experienced communications professional to fill the position of Communications Consultant 4 in Tumwater, WA. This position’s main objective is to serve the Aviation Office as the key aviation outreach and public information officer for the division.
At WSDOT, we actively promote and honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment, with the potential for a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT.
This position will perform the following work:
- Serves as the key aviation outreach and public information officer for the Division.
- In coordination with the Director and management team, position develops and implements division’s proactive public education and community engagement plan; plans, coordinates and directs collection, preparation and dissemination of informational materials to mass news and aviation media as well as division customer base; assists managers in developing, implementing, and/or overseeing community engagement plans and/or activities; serves as the division’s education and outreach representative.
- Reviews and edits correspondence, reports, and related materials for Director and Staff.
- Key knowledge, skills and abilities include: effective public speaking; establishing and maintaining cooperative relations with members of press and public; edit, compose and layout of educational and promotional materials.
- Organizes, prepares, and presents to the multiple customer groups and the public comprehensive public information and education programs.
- Arranges for and coordinates multi-media presentations depicting agency programs and activities; prepares biennial and WSDOT Gray Notebook reports, displays and other educational/outreach materials, brochures, pamphlets, web-based media, and other visual aids; serves as the division website coordinator.
- Assist in managing and updating the division’s internet site.
- Organizes and conducts meetings, workshops, and seminars; promotes knowledge of division programs and activities.
- Coordinates program information and presents to various groups such as educators, students, employees, industry, aviation community and general public.
- Attends public events on behalf of the Aviation Division at the Director’s discretion.
- Position advises Director and managers regarding public reaction to proposed programs and policies; analyzes extent of public understanding of program administered by department and determines need and type of information material for assigned program.
- Reviews and comments on public participation plans and other related documents; evaluates effectiveness of information and public relations activities and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Keeps Director and Staff informed on emerging aviation news.
- Trains and responds to disaster relief as a member of the Air Operations Branch (AOB).
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Journalism, public relations, or related field.
- Three years of writing editing, translating experience, or equivalent education/experience.
- Ability to speak before groups effectively.
- Effective written and communication skills.
- Knowledge of state government organization and procedures.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large “apply” button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunke at 360-705-7747 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference recruitment number 17DOT-HQ-00297.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter.
- State of Washington
View Job Posting for Agency Information
View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.