IT SYSTEMS/APP SPECIALIST 6 – Network Architect *10845
The Department of Fish and Wildlife has some of the most talented people in the natural resource field. We celebrate and value diversity, appreciating that a workforce composed of those from different backgrounds and experiences creates an inclusive environment, strengthens positive relationships with the local community, and brings new perspectives and approaches to fulfilling the agency’s mission.The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is dedicated to preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable recreational and commercial opportunities dependent on viable fish and wildlife populations. Each day, WDFW employees facilitate fishing, hunting and wildlife viewing opportunities for millions of residents and visitors. WDFW’s employees–field and laboratory biologists, geneticists, research scientists, hatchery professionals, policy experts, fully commissioned law enforcement officers, land stewards, lab technicians, property acquisition specialists, customer service representatives and others work throughout the state. WDFW employees protect and restore critical habitat, strive to facilitate species recovery when necessary, and manage hundreds of fish and wildlife species. WDFW employees maintain nearly a million acres of public wildlife lands. They interpret, apply and enforce state and federal laws and collaborate with stakeholders to protect fish and wildlife resources. Find out more about us and the important work we are a part of at www.wdfw.wa.gov.IT Systems/Applications Specialist 6 – Network ArchitectFull-Time/Permanent
We are recruiting to fill one (1) full-time permanent IT Systems/App Specialist 6 – Network Architect position within the Technology and Financial Management Program (TFM), Information Technology Services Division, located at the Natural Resources Building, Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.
This position is a technical expert-level Network Architect whose primary roles and responsibilities involve Wide Area Network (WAN), Local Area Network (LAN), Wireless (Wi-Fi) design, implementation, configuration, and support.
This position will also be responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting WDFW firewalls, both on premise and hosted in the cloud, and will play a key role in designing and facilitating the ongoing secure connectivity between WDFW networks, the State Government Network (SGN), and cloud based resources.
This position is responsible for centralized monitoring and logging of network infrastructure.
This position will also lead the WDFW network infrastructure staff on the support of the current wireless and remote access solutions.
- Provides technical expert-level functions for the WDFW network infrastructure, both on-premises and in the cloud (AWS, Azure).
- Designs, implements and supports WAN, LAN, and wireless infrastructures.
- Periodically reviews and implements improvements as needed to the current WAN link design in regard to how the WDFW network connects to the State Government Network (SGN), keeping in mind the future technology and business needs of the agency.
- Produces and maintains accurate network documentation, including detailed diagrams for all network infrastructure, both on-premises and in the cloud.
- Provides the design, implementation, and support for on-premises physical firewall as well as logical firewalls residing in the Amazon Web Service (AWS) or Microsoft (Azure) Cloud environments.
- Maintains accurate documentation, including detailed diagrams, for WDFW firewall infrastructure.
- Facilitates Virtual Private Network (VPN) and circuit-based connectivity solutions between the WDFW network environment and cloud hosted environments such as AWS and Azure.
- Working in conjunction with the WDFW infrastructure staff: designs, supports, and maintains centralized monitoring and logging for server, storage, and network infrastructures.
- Establishes new logging and monitoring solutions as needed for systems residing both on-premises and in the cloud.
- Designs, implements, and supports the WDFW wireless and remote access (VPN) solutions.
- Provides the ongoing maintenance and support for these systems.
- Assists WDFW systems administration staff with the ongoing maintenance and support of systems including, but not limited to: video conferencing, remote IP camera systems, data center maintenance and support (rack management, cabling, etc.).
- 5 or more years of recent experience (within the last 5 years) working in a medium to large organization designing, implementing and maintaining network infrastructure services, such as: network security, firewalls, VPN, intrusion detection/prevention, DNS, ACLs, ROIP, wireless, etc.
- 5 or more years of recent experience (within the last 5 years) providing technical expertise and tier 3 escalated support in an organization supporting security infrastructure that spans a variety of technology platforms.
- 5 or more years of recent network experience (within the last 5 years) and connectivity integration in a medium to large organization.
- Cisco Certification(s)
- Juniper Certification(s)
- Fortinet Certification(s)
- Aerohive Certification(s)
- Experience working in cloud based environments such as AWS and Azure.
- Experience managing a monitoring solution that includes the centralized collection of log file data.
- Server and storage infrastructures, and how these relate to the network design.
- How technology infrastructures are currently impacting and driving competitors.
- Network modeling, analysis, and planning.
- Proven ability to successfully communicate (verbally and in writing) complex technical subject matter to non-technical staff.
- Write functional requirements/specifications documents.
- Develop test plans, implementations plans, and project timelines for various projects.
- Demonstrated team building experience.
- The ability to identify, understand and interpret the constraints on a design in order to produce successful results.
- Develop network technology road maps, PowerPoint presentations and cost analysis.
- Assess network requirements spanning multiple systems, and integrating those network requirements into overall agency network architecture, in conjunction with stakeholder needs.
- Install hardware such as cables, hubs, routers, and wireless adaptors.
- Advanced skills in analyzing, planning, organizing, troubleshooting and solving complex security infrastructure problems.
- Proven skills to effectively work with a variety of individuals from diverse technical backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and lead groups to positive outcomes in difficult discussions.
- Perform tasks such as installation and configuration, testing and maintenance on new network hardware and software infrastructures, identification, diagnosis and resolution of network problems, technical support, and acquisition and maintenance of required certification from key vendors.
- Translate business goals, objectives and requirements into a technical design.
- Solve complex problems with many variables.
- Supplemental Information
Office setting, may be required to work in tight spaces; also, works in data closets and datacenter. Schedule is typically Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the State of Washington, Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE), which contains a “union security” provision. This means that, as a condition of employment, you must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of the date you are put into pay status.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, you MUST complete your profile at www.careers.wa.gov and attach the following to your profile before completing the online application:
- A cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications of this position (generic cover letter will not be accepted)
- A current resume (please make it succinct)
- Three professional references (personal references do not count as professional)
Please note: Failure to follow the above application instructions will lead to disqualification. Please do not include any attachments other than the ones requested above. E-mailed documents will not be accepted after the closing of the recruitment or in lieu of attaching your documents to the online profile.
Upon submission of your online application, you will immediately receive a confirming e-mail. You will then be notified via e-mail of your status during the process. In addition to the e-mail notifications, you can check the status of your application at any time by visiting your online profile at www.careers.wa.gov. Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we ask your understanding and encourage you to use the online process and avoid calling for information.
Please note that initial screening will be solely based on the completeness of application materials submitted and the contents and completeness of the “work experience” section of your application in NeoGov. A resume will not substitute for the “work experience” section of the application. The information provided in your application must support your selected answers in the supplemental questions. Responses not supported in your application may disqualify you from consideration for employment in this position. All information will be verified and documentation may be required.
The Department of Fish and Wildlife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 902-2276 or the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD) at (800) 833-6388.
- State of Washington
View Job Posting for Agency Information
View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
- View Posting for Agency Contact