Please see the following website for full job posting and application link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/thurstonwa/jobs/2305059/gis-analyst-ii
Summary of Duties
Thurston County is seeking highly a motivated and qualified individual for the position of GIS Analyst II within the Information Technology Department GeoData team.
Information Technology provides desktop, network, application, telecommunication, and geographical information system (GIS) services to about 1200 employees in County offices and departments in various locations throughout the County. The GeoData team is responsible for GIS services including spatial data, mapping, and data analysis for County internal customers and the public.
A GIS Analyst II serves as a technical representative to GIS clients and users and is responsible for complete, accurate, and complex applications involving spatial and non-spatial data analysis. The incumbent must work independently and collaboratively as a technical expert providing leadership, guidance, technical support, and direction in spatial data capture, editing, use, analysis, and QA/QC.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Providing direct customer support for the public, who are generally non-technical, with mapping and analyst services
- Providing support in the use of the County’s GIS (GeoData) websites by the public and other County offices and departments
- Responding to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, and electronically
- Installing, and tracking GIS software for County Offices
- Performing data stewardship of various spatial data themes
- Performing business needs assessment, spatial analysis, and mapping services for a variety of County offices
- Developing and maintaining cartographic products
- Managing data sharing processes and agreements
- Assisting customers by remote access or guiding the customer to correct an issue
- Troubleshooting and diagnosis of GIS technology problems
- Developing and providing documentation for GIS processes
Work is performed in an office environment. The position requires the incumbent to sit for extended periods of time. Manual hand-dexterity to adequately manipulate computer components and operate a keyboard is essential. Sight is necessary to operate programs and systems and aid in diagnosing issues.
- Associate’s degree in computer science, management information, engineering, geography, or related field. Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Additional experience, which demonstrates progressive increasing responsibilities, may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
- Two years of experience with GIS mapping related field work or applied use of GIS technology responsibility. Experience must include a demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following to successfully perform the essential job functions of the position:
- Thorough knowledge of hardware including personal computers, network servers, communication devices, printers, plotters, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software including network and desktop operating systems, office automation, programming languages, and database products.
- Thorough knowledge of system and network security.
- Current Washington State Driver’s License or have requested and obtained an appropriate accommodation.
- Employment in this position is contingent upon passing a security background investigation.
To be successful in this position, candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities required to support GIS services and business needs in a multi-functional, multi agency environment:
- Skilled with Esri GIS products including ArcGIS Version 10.x, installing and troubleshooting same, ability to use and create automated processes using model-builder and/or other automation tools.
- Experience data editing with versioned SDE database, creating and maintaining metadata in an ArcSDE environment, managing and administering spatial and non-spatial data including data development and data maintenance.
- Experience using Esri Parcel Fabric, reading legal descriptions, and supporting Assessor’s GIS business processes.
- Experience supporting customers with various skills levels, including the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels within the organization.
- Cartographic skills and the ability to create and maintain maps and map products.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups including customers in stressful situations; ability to work collaboratively with GIS and IT peers. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully as a member of a self- directed work team and utilize the resources of other team members.
- Ability to conduct public presentations, GIS training, and tutoring.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and to manage multiple projects and competing priorities successfully.
Other Position Related Information
Thurston County Information Technology Department Mission:
Partner with our customers to serve the public.
One team united as effective stewards of County resources to deliver continually improving competitive services that meet customer business needs.
Our Customer Commitment:
We strive to build trust and to ensure that our customers feel welcomed, heard, informed, confident, and successful.
How to Apply:
All applicants for this recruitment must complete the on-line applicant profile. To be considered for this position you will also need to provide a resume and letter of interest and answer all four supplemental questions. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training, and education qualify you as a competitive candidate for this position.
Inquiries about this Position?
The contact person for this recruitment is Tami Faulkner, GIS/IT Supervisor, (360) 867-2077.
This position is:
-Represented by a union
-Eligible for benefits
-Classified as overtime eligible under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)