*The salary listed for this position includes the Legislative approved general wage increase of 2% effective January 1, 2019*
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is seeking an innovative and creative individual interested in implementing new technical solutions as a Transportation Planning Specialist 3 (TPS3) in Tumwater, WA.
This highly skilled Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and database professional will join our Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS) and Functional Classification team in Tumwater, WA. Under the direction of the HPMS and Functional Classification Manager, this position’s primary focus is to collect, process, analyze, and report traffic and roadway data for HPMS.
HPMS is an information system used to assess the condition, extent, performance, and operational characteristics of the nation’s highways. The HPMS and Functional Classification section is responsible for managing this federally-required system representing all Washington public roads. HPMS data is collected and reported annually to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and this data is a basis for Washington’s Federal transportation funding.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
What we are looking for:
- Proficient experience in performing data analysis, data management, and GIS analysis.
- Proficient experience in GIS database management, data stewardship, and data processing.
- Strong proficiencies in GIS in combination with SQL query/scripting to meet reporting requirements.
- Solid understanding of Liner Referenced Networks concepts.
- Strong skills and experience performing analysis using Esri ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcSDE) products in combination with Microsoft Access, SQL server management studio or other relational database tools.
- The ability to interact with internal and external customers satisfying customer request for HPMS data and other related data request.
- The ability to interpret and explain federal guidelines to internal and external customers both verbally and in writing.
This position will perform the following work:
- Independently leads the local agency data collection program for HPMS; analyzes travel and operating features of local agency roads.
- Serves as liaison to local agency stakeholders interpreting the Traffic Monitoring Guide and Short Count Factoring Guide.
- Apply spatial and SQL software technology/resources to create, edit, verify, and analyze data.
- Develop and support data review procedures; support the HPMS Web Application
- Collaborate with WSDOT’s Functional Classification (FC) Inventory Specialist to ensure the accuracy of local agency data. Annually maintain the HPMS Sample system meeting federal guidelines.
- Use specialized GIS and SQL software/data resources to perform analysis and reporting operations related to state highway HPMS data obtained from the WSDOT enterprise LRS database. Includes using software to access, manage, and validate HPMS data prior to submittal to FHWA.
- Work collaboratively with Traffic and Roadway Data Stewards as required for data interpretation and analysis.
- Supports various technical components of the HPMS-dependent federal reporting systems.
- Conducts the Local Agency Quality Review of HPMS data and integrate results into the HPMS database.
- Assist FHWA personnel during field reviews, and respond to questions about field review data and general data adequacy.
- Assists the HPMS supervisor with overall aspects of the HPMS program, including the GIS based spatial Linear Referencing System (LRS) reporting requirement and the annual FHWA submittal process.
- Other duties as required
The requirement for this position include:
- Proficient skills in the use of several software resources within the context of spatial data and relational linear reference network management and reporting, such as: SQL Server Management Studio, ArcGIS suite of software and tools and Relational Database Management Systems
- Five or more years of experience using ArcGIS suite of software tools and products or industry equivalent product
- Five or more years or experience using Relational Database Management Systems with demonstrated ability to connect, query and use data stored in a database such as SQL and ArcSDE
- A strong understanding of Linear Reference Network concepts
- The ability to interact and communicate effectively with WSDOT, FHWA, Local Governments and the public including interpreting and explaining Federal guidelines and HPMS requirements while making independent decisions and meeting tight deadlines
- The ability to analyze and make qualitative evaluations of HPMS data and preparing reports to customers and stakeholders upon request
- Valid driver’s license necessary to attend meetings and perform roadway inventory assessments
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Experience with and knowledge of HPMS data, program management, and business process
- Proficient in the use of ESRI’s Roads and Highways product
- Functional/Operational knowledge of the following WSDOT data resources: HPMS, LRS, WA All Public Roads Network, Average Annual Daily Traffic, Vehicle Miles Traveled, Roadway Inventory data
- A Bachelor’s Degree involving a major study in transportation, landscape architecture, environment or urban studies, regional or land use planning or natural or physical sciences
- Three years professional transportation experience involving analysis and evaluation of transportation issues and problems
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large “apply” button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions and attach a cover letter and resume. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Erik Lunke at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-HQ-04262.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.