This week was exciting because I was able to start constructing some of the furniture for my miniature bedroom. During our first critique I was able to get some very helpful suggestions on my construction process and decided that my original plan of starting with the actual structure might make things more difficult. I want to be sure of my scale before I begin with the room so I decided it was best to begin with my furniture, I spent a good part of the week attempting to create a bed frame from a piece of basswood, however I struggled with this because I have no prior furniture designing skills, after countless hours of sanding and shaping I decided it might be better to find a set already sized but not yet put together. I was able to find a build your own dollhouse funiuture set and started the assembling process.

Once I had my pieces, and the construction idea together I wanted to see what was the best way to design these items. I assembled some and began painting while others I kept as pieces and painted separately. I wanted to see which made the best presentation, in the end I think that painting the pieces before construction produced the best results.

According to my book, it is important for the feng shui of the room to pick colors that are pleasing and uplifting. I chose to pick a very light pink, white and calming green.

It was also important to my process that I choose furniture that was light in color because darker woods can cause a bad flow of chi. I thought about the pieces of furniture that would be in my room based on the knowledge I acquired from reading the bedroom chapter of my Feng Shui and Health: The Anatomy of a Home book where she discusses the importance of keeping your work space separate from your sleeping space. It was discussed in the book that it is also important to make your room as comfortable as possible so I wanted to begin making a mattress and pillows for my bed. This was the first time I have ever used a sewing machine so I was excited. It took me quite a while and a few YouTube videos

to understand how to load and use my sewing machine. I started with pillows because they were going to be simple square patterns. Then I was able to move on to bigger items like my mattress……Finally I began decorating my furniture in a fun style that I have enjoyed in my own home called shabby chic, I wanted the room to be girly and fun with lots of jewels and fabrics. This decision was based on the information acquired from my book, the author says that one key factor of good feng shui is to decorate with a style that is uplifting to yourself. If you don’t enjoy walking into your room then you wont enjoy sleeping there.

1. Isabella M.

Kate, I think you’re on track with your design process, especially after seeing your finished miniature room in critique. It was so cute and really showed off your personality, which is definitely important to feeling happy in your domestic space (like you said about feng shui). I love that you took photos throughout the process too, it helps me to visualize the work that you put into it. Keep up the good work. 🙂

Reply