Staff Scientist, Endangered Species Program, Portland OR
At the Center for Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings is deeply linked to nature – to the existence in our world of a vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild is still alive.
The Center is currently looking for a full-time Staff Scientist for the Endangered Species Program. This position is located in Portland, Oregon.
General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity, a national 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of imperiled plants, animals and wild places, seeks a staff scientist to advocate for the conservation of endangered species across the United States. The position will involve working with a team of attorneys, communications specialists and advocates to protect endangered species across the country. This will require a dynamic, dedicated individual with a strong background in conservation biology and advocacy.
- Expand the Center’s work to protect endangered species.
- Work to protect additional species under the Endangered Species Act.
- Identify and carry out opportunities to protect endangered species from the threats they face.
- Build relationships with key scientists.
- Utilize media campaigns to highlight threats to imperiled wildlife.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Experience working for a conservation organization.
- Advanced degree in conservation biology or a related field.
- A solid understanding of the Endangered Species Act and endangered species conservation.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A dynamic and assertive personality.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Generous time off policies.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code.
Please apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample. The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.