NISQUALLY LAND TRUST AMERICORPS POSITION – VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR
This is a 10½-month position that will begin September 1, 2018.
It is offered through a partnership with the Washington Service Corps AmeriCorps Program and the AmeriCorps member will receive a stipend through Washington Service Corps.
This position is contingent on funding.
Sponsoring Organization: Nisqually Land Trust
Sponsoring Organization’s Mission: The Nisqually Land Trust acquires and manages critical lands to permanently benefit the water, wildlife, and people of the Nisqually River Watershed.
Location: Nisqually Land Trust office, which is located on the Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge at 100 Brown Farm Road, Olympia WA; and Land Trust properties throughout the Nisqually River Watershed in Thurston, Pierce, and Lewis counties.
Position Description: As the Nisqually Land Trust Volunteer Coordinator, the AmeriCorps member will engage South Puget Sound community members as volunteers in outreach, stewardship and habitat restoration activities that further the mission of the Land Trust. The Nisqually Land Trust is a local non-profit organization, with six staff members, that protects and manages more than 7,000 acres in the Nisqually River Watershed in South Puget Sound.
Responsibilities: The AmeriCorps member will be responsible for:
- Recruiting, training, and supporting outreach, stewardship and restoration volunteers;
- Hosting volunteer recognition activities;
- Compiling volunteer records;
- Participating in community outreach activities and events; and
- Participating in stewardship and restoration field
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers
- Enthusiastic about growing the Land Trust’s volunteer capacity
- Outgoing personality with ability to engage with new people easily; communicate in a positive, professional manner; and work well in a team environment
- Excellent record-keeping, organizing and coordinating skills
- College degree with training or demonstrated background in natural sciences, natural resource management, environmental studies, environmental education, or related field
- Computer skills: Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Physically able to conduct demanding field work in a variety of weather conditions
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and auto insurance (NLT will provide mileage reimbursement)
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Familiar with GPS and GIS software
- First aid and CPR certification
- 10 1/2-month term of service, starting September 1, 2018
- Member must serve a MINIMUM of 1,700 hours during the 10 ½ month term of service through July 15th, 2019
- Complete and submit all necessary AmeriCorps paperwork and reports in a timely manner
- Attend all required AmeriCorps training and orientation events; and achieve the core competency trainings
- Must have high school diploma, GED or commit to obtaining one during the term of service
- U.S. citizen, national or lawful permanent resident
- Member may have part-time job or attend school provided it doesn’t interfere with schedule set at site
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- A taxable, monthly living allowance of $1,202.86 provided by Washington Service Corps
- Upon successful completion of a full term of service, eligible members receive an educational award of $5,815 provided by the National Service Trust
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- Basic medical insurance (covers members only, not dependents; vision and dental not included)
- Assistance with childcare costs
- Training and experience
- Applications will be accepted through July 20, 2018.
- All applicants must complete the online AmeriCorps application process. https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=73458&fromSearch=true
- In addition, email a cover letter and resume (pdf format preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “AmeriCorps – Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject line. Address cover letter to Kim Bredensteiner.
Thank you for your interest in serving as an AmeriCorps member with the Nisqually Land Trust.