Seattle Art Museum Visit

For my museum visit, I went to the Seattle Art Museum because I knew they had a diverse range of artworks and had two of Joseph Cornell’s boxes and a few of his collages in their permanent collection. I was disappointed to find that after I looked through everything there and asked a guide, his pieces were not on display at the moment. I was so excited to see a Cornell box up close in person, but oh well. There were a few cool things to see there, along with a lot of, dare I say, boring crap. I tend to be very picky about the art that interests me and I found that a lot of what I was seeing at SAM was either pretty dull or I had a hard time finding the meaning in it or considering it to be “fine art”.  However, there was definitely some good work to see.

I was very excited to see four of Carrie Mae Weems’ beautiful black and white photographs. I know we’ve discussed her work around domestic space quite a bit in class, so it was really cool to see her prints so large and in person.

The piece that I found to be most relevant to my project was a black and white photograph entitled Coney Island Boardwalk, Man by Roy DeCarava. It had a nostalgic quality to it that reminded me of the reasons I wanted to use black and white photography in my work during this quarter.  I think it must be a pretty rare photograph too because I can’t even find it on Google; which kind of makes it even cooler that I got to see it at the museum. I’ve done a little research on the artist and many of his other photographs have a “home life” quality to them that appeals to me a lot. I think discovering him was the best thing I took away from going to SAM.

There was also a painting that I connected to that was called How My Mother’s Embroidered Apron Unfolds in My Life by Arshile Gorky. This abstract painting coupled with its descriptive title makes me think that is represents a memory or attempts to encapsulate a particular relationship within the artist’s life, which is basically what I aim to do in each of my boxes.

Another thing I enjoyed quite a bit was “The Porcelain Room” because it sort of reminded me of a giant assemblage. They pieced together a huge display of porcelain objects, all found from various time periods and places of origin. The display describes how porcelain was once very valuable but has become commonplace now and that this room is there way of making these artifacts special again. This is similar to the way I want to treat the objects in my work. 

So, basically, the point of this post is for me to say that they didn’t have what I went to the museum to see, but I ended up discovering some pretty cool new stuff instead.

38 thoughts on “Seattle Art Museum Visit

1. Isabella, Your museum visit did provide some great new art discoveries for you. You were able to see ways that nostalgia can be represented, via DeCarava’s and Gorky’s work. Your mention of Gorky was timely for me. While in L.A. I spoke to an Armenian shopkeeper who told me about the WWI genocide of Armenians and the loss of their homeland. As an Armenian, Gorky’s work was influenced by the tragedy. Nostalgia for a home country must be a particularly deep form of the emotion—the shopkeeper, although a young man, was still quite affected. I saw several Gorky paintings at LACMA and took note that he was an Armenian American painter. From 1933-34, Gorky completed a series of paintings called “Nighttime, Enigma and Nostalgia,” you can read about it here: http://www.legacyproject.org/index.php?artID=600&page=art_detail
    Stephanie

2. I share your feeling regarding museum visits. I am usually perplexed as to why something is considered fine art. I am also usually perplexed as to why I am drawn to certain pieces. Art for me is wonderfully confusing. I blame most of my own confusion regarding art on my own ignorance though. Ha ha. How cool to see the Weems in person! I must say that your SAM post has inspired me to visit. I have not been to SAM in ages. The porcelain room is amazing. I love groupings of multiple objects and I wonder if this has to do with an innate desire to organize. There is something so pleasing about discovering visual stimuli in an organized “mess”. I hope that makes sense. I get that feeling when I gaze at exposed circuit boards and other people’s photo albums. And your boxes.

3. Do you enjoy competing with other players in fights where you may select from a variety of engaging obstacles? In Stumble Guys, players compete in battle against one another while trying to dodge various comedic traps. Those who are the first to reach the finish line are declared the winners.

4. Spend some time playing. I’m interested in finding out more because I have strong views about it. Would you please provide more details to your blog post? We will all actually gain from it.

5. incredible quality The issues are pretty obvious, and everything is open to clear interpretation. There are actual truths in it. Your website is quite helpful. I value your sharing.

6. You are in for a real treat with this! This is without a doubt the most incredible piece of writing I’ve ever read. Because of you, it is turning out to be a much better day.

7. Experience the excitement of virtual racing as you take control of powerful vehicles, maneuvering through intense obstacles and competing against skilled opponents on Car Games

8. The Seattle Art Museum has collected and displayed a wide range of art from around the world, including contemporary art, indigenous tribal art, The Password Game Eurasian and Asian art, and African art. , medieval art and many other art genres.

9. This article is a fascinating wealth of interesting and well-written useful information. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information run 3. I know very well that if anyone visits your blog, they will definitely revisit it again.

10. The Seattle Art Museum is an art museum located in the American city of Seattle and has a fairly rich art collection. The Seattle Art Museum is a pleasant place to visit for art lovers and culture enthusiasts. Here you can explore the works of different art movements and experience the beauties of art. I like your blog.

11. Thank you for your insightful blog post about the Seattle Art Museum! It’s indeed a captivating space for art enthusiasts. The diverse collection beautifully showcases various art movements, making each visit a cultural journey. How you describe the experience truly resonates with the joy of exploring art. Have you considered delving into Expository essay Help? It could be an exciting topic for your future posts!

12. Heardle is more than a game; it’s an invitation to immerse yourself in the world of music. With every puzzle, you’re surrounded by melodies, beats, and lyrics, creating an immersive experience that goes beyond the screen.

13. It was a really helpful and very informative blog. It really helps me a lot but if you want to also learn something new and interesting. Besides, connections game is a puzzle-based game in which players must identify groups of objects that share a common quality or classification. Play now!

14. In the workplace, enneagram test becomes a valuable tool for management and leadership. It not only allows them to understand their team on a deeper level but also helps create a positive work environment and an efficient team. Applying Enneagram in management helps optimize interactions, resolve conflicts, and promote job satisfaction.

15. Her work exploring domestic spaces is powerful and Strands thought-provoking, and seeing her prints in person can offer a new perspective on their significance.