Homework for Wednesday week 5
Resources to refer to: (i) Place based education- learn to be where you are, (ii) UBD, (iii) Activity types for your content area, (iv) new article by Schafer-Southard & Hofer Give your lesson a tech makeover – Schafer-Southard & Hofer AND (v) Create a post for our blog handout
- Write up the UBD stage 1 and 2 of the backward design template for your unit (this part of the template outlines the big idea, goals, standards, essential questions, new knowledge & skills refined by the unit)
- List 5-6 types of technology that you could integrate to support learning in your unit.
- For each form of technology – brainstorm, investigate and list (i) what activity type(s) it would support in this unit; (ii) how it might support learning; and finally (iii) what you might need to anticipate in your planning and learn if students are to effectively make use of this technology.
Once you’ve completed the above:
- create a new post in order “publish” your homework.
- Add a picture that represents (i) the aspect of the “town” students will investigate (i.e. a local picture); and (ii) communicates something about the disciplinary perspective students will use to investigate.
- link your homework on this post.
- Put a title for your unit with your initials in parentheses e.g. title(sw)
Unit plan ideas
- Phrase the title of your unit as an essential question (jc)
- What’s the true cost of a cup of coffee? (sw)
- title (initials)
- Problematizing OUR Problems (MF)
- What’s the solution to Tacoma’s Asarco Smelter? ™
- What is courage? (jc)
- Of Mice and My Community (dm)
- What is the Genre of Your Community? (kl)
- What is more important: self or community? (jc)
- How do we claim space in our community? (jv)
- Why Here? (df)
- What influence has had the railroad in the history of Tacoma? (cm)
- What’s in a Name? (ll)
- What leads people to help in their communities? (pn)
- What is it to cause change and be changed? (AM)
- Blast from the past: uncovering Tacoma (AW)
- What are boundaries? (MC)
- What’s in our food?