The #1 Rule for Creating Content

As soon as I saw the raw cuts of meat strewn across the table stand, I knew I was far away from home. The flies buzzed in circles around the piles of flesh, dodging waving hands and spinning fan blades. The smell of the meat simmered in the tropical humidity, producing an odorous vapor penetrating deep into my nostrils. It was the first time I saw meat sold on the side of a street. No one could get away with this in America. I started to tell my wife everything I saw wrong with this picture, but she cut me short. “How can you judge my culture with your own standards? You were born in America. Many people can barely afford a refrigerator in their home, let alone one to keep outside. Besides, most of it gets sold today anyways.” I felt ashamed. She was right. How could I judge them by my own cultural standards?

Today I’m going to give you a piece of advice that will change your life. Let me be clear: it applies virtually everywhere. Writing a persuasive essay, increasing your fan base, and making a sales pitch will all fail if they do not appeal to emotion.

Here’s the same message about cultural relativism. Prescriptive-style writing has its place, but it definitely won’t get you more views.

I’m going to give you a lecture on a cultural relativism. “Cultural relativism is the view that no culture is superior to any other culture when comparing systems of morality, law, politics, etc. It’s the philosophical notion that all cultural beliefs are equally valid and that truth itself is relative, depending on the cultural environment. Those who hold to cultural relativism hold that all religious, ethical, aesthetic, and political beliefs are completely relative to the individual within a cultural identity. Relativism often includes moral relativism (ethics depend on a social construct), situational relativism (right or wrong is based on the particular situation), and cognitive relativism (truth itself has no objective standard).”

What was your reaction to the above sentence? Did you even make it to the second sentence before scrolling down? This is exactly what I’m talking about. Which sample of writing would you recommend to a friend? The secret is this: people will not pay attention to you unless you make them burst into laughter, yell at you in rage, or make them burst into tears.

If this post helped you understand something new, I want you to do one thing:

Share what you’ve learned to one person today.

Thanks for stopping by! I’ll see you next week.

See what your friends think!
Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Reddit

You may also like...